Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dance Stack - Build Plan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dance Stack - Build Plan
    Posted: 05 October 2017 at 7:01pm
Hi,
So I want to build I dance stack to play quite transient, kick driven electronic music. (Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WQwoIWClUQ)

My (current) plan is to build: 
 2 1850 Horns loaded with Void V18-1000 for sub
2 X1 Subs
 4 HD 15's loaded with PD 184's for kick
Something to meet the coaxial

For mid-highs I want to use one of BMS's coaxial compression drivers with a casted horn. I'm wary about getting one for each side, this would surely be overkill? Also, would a 1.4" be worth the extra investment in my case or would the 2" do the same job just fine? 

Any thought/feedback or advice would be appreciated. I'd very much like to know if this is a solid choice of cabinets and drivers for what I intend to do.

Extra info: 
This is a project, it's not for a large space or a certain size crowd. It's more about building a system thats plays this type of music with a quality and coherent sound that is both loud and clean. I am open to suggestions that completely blow my current plan out of the water. 

Thanks!

edit*In review the plan has changed somewhat, and I wouldn't be surprised if it changes a couple of more times before it's solid Confused 

Edited by rwnmc - 07 October 2017 at 10:29pm
bassdesigner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassdesigner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2017 at 7:54pm
No point running 1850's with hds swap the 1850 for x1's and stick with the hd's.
rwnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2017 at 8:10pm
Thanks for the reply, could you elaborate on why the x1's would be a better choice? 
bassdesigner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassdesigner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2017 at 8:25pm
A pair of 1850 will only respond to around 50hz and will rapidly dropp off below that if your playing electronic music then the x1's will add that wobble that the 1850's wont pick up cross them over around 80hz and let the hds play from there you ideally want 4 hd to 2 x1s for a nice balance
Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2017 at 10:12pm
It looks like you miss a fifth way, hd15 or cubo 15, or any bandpass horn, will never reach even the best bms coaxial, you need something to play at least 200 - 650 Hz... Or exchange the hd15 for something 90 - 600 capable
Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2017 at 10:13pm
I am talking pa level, for hi fi use maybe you could cross the bms coaxial at 300 Hz
rwnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2017 at 10:43am
I was thinking there would be an issue with the coaxial hitting the low mid, thanks for confirming that one. Is there an option thats capable of 90-600?
If a fifth way is a best way to go I'm also up for introducing another cabinet.
Battered View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Battered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2017 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by rwnmc rwnmc wrote:

Thanks for the reply, could you elaborate on why the x1's would be a better choice? 

Short Version; 1850 isn't a Sub
Touching cloth at 200 mph
Mikkel View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2017 at 1:20am
Maybe try simming some bph 12's? Ive seen some recently on rigresale that met a coax, think they were called rb212, might even be still selling. Anyway the soundsystem that were using them was called unstable or some in that vein.
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2017 at 9:49am
RB212s are a FLH not a BPH.
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
Mikkel View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2017 at 10:36am
Originally posted by Timebomb Timebomb wrote:

RB212s are a FLH not a BPH.

Ahh well that explains why they go high enough to meet coax.

To OP - i re read your post and i see its for a project, so im guessing buying might not be in keeping with what your wanting. So with that in mind there are designs that might be able meet a coax such as the martin 115 and martin 215 mk3, but i am only guessing.

I think a 12" design would be better, but dont know of any (apart from the rb212 now hah). Maybe you could have a stab at designing your own with the help of the forum, if you know any horn theory and have used hornresp before?
Mikkel View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2017 at 10:45am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>