Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Danley Demo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Danley Demo
    Posted: 13 March 2015 at 8:02am
So I hear there was a Danley demo recently in the UK, any feedback?

Edited by SamV - 13 March 2015 at 8:03am
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2015 at 8:14am
And did they play and electronic bass heavy music? You tube full of prog rock through Danley.
It's everything, not everythink!
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2015 at 9:13am
Kyle will be along soon I'm sure :)

I was gonna go, too much on though. Did get a FB message off the organiser last night though, another guy I work with is assisting him I think.

Have to say, not overly keen on the orange...
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2015 at 10:27am
Honestly, I wasn't blown away and I really wanted to be. So much so that I flew from Manchester and back to judge with my own ears. Some tracks sounded really good, someā€¦ not so much. I want to say it did better at dance music than live recordings but a few hours later I listened to the same tracks I played off my USB pen at the demo on an Air Motion rig and it was both deeper and punchier.

For reference I played a Sub Focus tune, some dub techno, some electro, a live, incredibly well recorded jazz drum solo from the Focal Labs CD, Dirty Diana, Fleetwood Mac live recording of Rhianna and The Chain, stuff like that. It did sound best on the drummer track and the vocals on the Mac were pretty nice at the top end, sparkly stuff came through well but the bottom end of her voice was also a bit boomy and muddy. It really struggled with Shackleton - Test Tubes which is my go to for 'how serious is this sub, really'.

It was quite top heavy/bitey basically, and the subs didn't really have any kick to them - essentially a louder reflex box. Sadly the 415 was especially disappointing for the size - you know the car audio loud burp thing? It was that in a box. Impact but not particularly nice.

It was almost totally dead behind the stacks though and it did sound the same everywhere in the coverage. But after so many people saying it was the holy grail online, I did expect a bit more. Amps were something I haven't seen before and the sub ones were maxed out - they were using Turbo badged Linea Research processors and a Qu16 for control.

I'm going to reserve final judgement for hearing it on an actual gig in a less weird room, ideally with my own hands on the system EQ. There was definitely a bit much 150-300 in the room and I would have shelved the top end immediately if I rocked up to a gig and it was set up that way.

In short, I didn't dislike it but I also didn't fall in love, which is a shame as I kind of waited a few years for a go at it.

Edited by toastyghost - 13 March 2015 at 10:30am
huckle123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote huckle123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2015 at 10:47am
A few photos of the setup cropped up on my facebook feed the other day. I would be intrigued to hear it as haven't come across it before 

burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2015 at 11:36am
Sounds like a classic American eq to me Toasty, no offence America.  You really need to have a fiddle at a gig with punters in the way to get a feel for it then.  The wait continues....
music is the message
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2015 at 11:43am
Well done Kyle for making the effort... anti climax what a bore..
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2015 at 12:24pm
I guess the things in the middle are 415. That hole,it just doesnt look like it works LOL .
pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2015 at 4:49pm
Toasty I think you have said few times that on many occasions you prefer the sound of reflex boxes and now you're sort of complaining about something sounding bit like reflex box? Tongue

How was the midrange on all those synergy/unity horns? Overly bright balance is easily tamed specially with system that has open DSP. I haven't heard synergy horn in anger yet and I'm really interested about the mid range performance and coherence.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2015 at 4:52am
These felt like they were in anger, not much headroom left at points?

And yeah I love reflex, but there was something missing. The Sh96 and SH46 didn't 'kick' which is understandable, but the subs also didn't apart from the 415 which burped!

Also the boxes really didn't feel full range? I honestly had to convince the person I went with that the big box was HPF at 80Hz or lower according to the published settings.

Again, I reserve final judgement for a real gig but initial impressions are 'box that has great coverage and behaves exactly to published dispersion only, but sounds above average at best doing it'.

Edited by toastyghost - 14 March 2015 at 4:56am
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2015 at 7:03am
This just growls!
Fourty 18's with 40KW

Not bad (two boxes with four 15's in each, power unknown)

djk
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2015 at 10:48am
So basically not as good as a 30 year old Turbo Flood PA then---I am 65 years old now and still have not heard a decent sounding rig from the USA.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>