Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Davey T's 215 bootybass - WITH PLANS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minaximal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2009 at 11:44am
Originally posted by pfly pfly wrote:

Davey

Altough not entirely similar but could you help me with my 15 minute effort. I first did it in sketchup, measured throat and such points and tried it out in HR

http://www.speakerplans.com/Forum/tiny-kick-bin_topic27251.html

As you can see, it ended up pretty flat, but could you explain how did you get 104db sensitivity while my sensitivity is somewhere around 92db, altough the nominal sensitivity of PD is 96db!

nice one davey!, think you should keep the bootybass name!

@pfly your cab is in 4pi not 2pi the driver sensitvity was probably done in 2pi, did you also do the combined response for the spl sim?

p.s. if the cab is designed to always be stacked off the ground then a 4pi sim may be closer to the truth, it is pretty much the case for the shorter wavelengths of upper bass mid.

Subs + Barges = :)

www.metaacoustics.com

pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2009 at 12:01pm
That is the reason why I did in 4pi, in 2pi it gets somewhere around the nominal sensitivity of PD12SB30. Then if there was double version of this it would get to around 100db...

Well, back to bootybass I guess. Nice design btw!

Edited by pfly - 11 June 2009 at 12:02pm
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2009 at 1:31pm
nice!

Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

I'm wondering about trying to cross this into Hornloaded 10" + 1". Embarrassed

yepBig smile

or phase plugged beyma 122nd and neo 1.4" could be good.
davey t View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2009 at 7:24pm
Yea if its on the ground then 2pi- thats almost 5db difference! The drivers are around 99db reflex loaded. The horn expension on the port adds around 3 db compared with the normal reflex and doubling the cab with two 15"s and still keeping 1w increased it further by 2 or 3db. 

I have to say that I came across your thread a few weeks back which kinda inspired the loading here. That and there's a similar RCF cab i believe and a whole host of other varieties. 

:)
Minirig portable soundsystem movement
turbodeas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbodeas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2009 at 9:54pm
Hey,

Really nice Davey, looks like it'd be ideal (and nice and cheap) as the low end for the little (but a bit bigger) pub gigs where the pair of SRM450's on sticks isn't quite enough! What do you reckon the max SPL using the Sov400's would be like? Good enough for smallish PA use? I'm sorely tempted to build a pair as soon as I get paid, jsut for fun!

The sensitivity sure looks impressive....

Love to see some pics of your build when you've finished it.

Cheers,

Chris.
king david View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king david Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2009 at 10:16pm
i cut the wood today for a single driver version, i guess i will build it in a day but i will work hard in the next days so no woodwork for me, i think to do it early next week and test it both indoors and outdoors.
it would stack well above hogs and below smt212 so i hope it would work good

http://www.warriorcharge.noblogs.org
king david View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king david Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2009 at 12:44pm
actually i found time to start the build today, i think that the 39,7cm baffle is wrong and needs to be 41 or 41,1 cm so back to cutter.

http://www.warriorcharge.noblogs.org
davey t View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2009 at 11:38am
Let race....

currently half way there with just one afternoons work. I can't believe how easy this cab is to make. I mean, there's no messing around with routing access panels or anything like that. Only 6 angled cuts, all the others are 90degrees. 

and its small too! when you draw things on a computer you don't really get a sense of scale. 

Looking forward to finishing and testing

Edited by davey t - 13 June 2009 at 11:43am
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2009 at 10:23pm
looking good champ..

how you imagine this performing when scaled down to fit a pair of 12" drivers?  im thinking making them in two halfs aswell.. 

also, as a horn assisted reflex cab, what ts para's should be aimed for when chosing a driver?  will a lower resonance driver allow a lower cutoff as with reflex(at a cost to efficiency because lower fs normally means lower w/spl's), or does the driver want specs suited best for a scoop cabinet?  I have a pair of 12" dual vc woofers and wanna make use of them in something different to my usual box with a hole aproach..    
REFLEX ALL THE WAY.... (however, im playing with horns again...) That ok Mister Valiant? :)
shadow1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2009 at 10:39pm
It's looking good man, looking forward to the final result.
Smile, the worst is yet to come.
palesha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palesha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2009 at 7:41am

From where u got Le of the driver?

The Fane website is down.  In the web catalogue Le is not mentioned.

davey t View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2009 at 9:07am
I guessed. It only effects upper response anyways
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>