Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dayton PA460-8 in 186 Horn sounding good

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad_12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dayton PA460-8 in 186 Horn sounding good
    Posted: 07 January 2013 at 11:25pm
Hey everyone,

Just a quick post, I know this is a really cheap driver, but I was on a tight budget, it's about $97.50 USD, and it's T/S sits between the Omega Pro and RCF or PD186 I believe, but I built one 186 and used it NYE and it sounded great to me.

It only has a 3" VC, but it's 500w and has a paper/carbon fiber cone, so I thought I'd try it out. Sure I might open it a month from now and see a torn up cone, but until then, I'm gonna see what it can do. It went low for the hip/hop I was playing and had good kick for the other stuff. I'm not saying it sounds better than the other recommended drivers, they probably would sound even better, I'm just saying it sounded great to me, I was very happy. I plan on building 3 more and I should be good with that for a setup.

Your mileage may vary, I'm sure the other drivers push that air much stronger, but it's good enough for me for now. :)

Edd Jordan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edd Jordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2013 at 3:28am
what you crossing them at, got any picsof them? plus you can allways upgrade drivers later. get/build some decent top cabs to that can keep up with them and you will be laughing.  
I do a sideline in ply wood wheels.
Trinidad_12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad_12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2013 at 4:33pm
I cross it about 180hz, and if I want less mid out of it, I go a bit lower. But 180hz sounds pretty good. I've been messing with speakers for to decades, so I trust my own ears but I also ask the bartender or whoever if it sounds clean.   But yeah, right now I'm using my set of X15's and they seem to make enough mid/high to balance out.

I'll post some pics soon, I'll say one thing, I'll never try to build another without a table saw lol. My first cuts were bad on the interior folds, but as soon as I got a table saw, they came out almost perfect. I used a skill/circular saw at first. Then to finally put the last piece, the side on, I ran a level/straight edge across the whole opening to find any high pieces, and used a hand plainer to level them down. Just my own experience, this was my first horn build.

wafflesomd View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wafflesomd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2013 at 9:17am
I love daytons PA drivers.  I just happen to live right next to Partsexpress too.  

I have six tham15's loaded with pa380, and they perform extremely well.  

We also have four x1's loaded with the pa460 and they also do really well.  If the driver can handle the X1, it can handle anything as far as I'm concerned.
t.geessounds View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t.geessounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2013 at 1:38pm
+1 i used those speaker a lot too from the 10 to 18 with good result!!!! 
Trinidad_12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad_12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2013 at 3:40pm
That's awesome to hear, I like the numbers on the Daytons. I'm designing a double 15" to use the PA380's. But yeah, they're a great alternative so far.
 Post Reply Post Reply