Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

d&b SL Series - New Big Boy Line Array

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: d&b SL Series - New Big Boy Line Array
    Posted: 04 October 2017 at 1:52pm
www.sl-series.com

Seems d&b are just about ready to launch their new top of the range line array package, their K1/MLA/Leo competitor. 

From the looks of the video, a full cardioid system extending their cardioid technology from subs to the top cabs too. 

Anyone care to share any info/gossip?  ;D

K
Bryan M View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2017 at 4:06pm
They used it on the other stage at Glastonbury this year.

It was very good!
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2017 at 11:51pm
Dual 14” LF section... I didn’t think it was a vast improvement over the J and V combo in prior years personally but that stage has never sounded amazing to me either.

Expect a lot of J in the second hand market soon anyways, incentives to upgrade are very aggressively placed for rental houses. Almost as much as SB28 > KS28 was.
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2017 at 12:27am
Yeah

I also had a bit more info than I was maybe letting on initially lol, didn't want to get someone into trouble for sharing if the info wasn't widely available lol.

Knew about the 14" low section, and from what I hear the companion sub is a newly designed triple 21" (I presume the third 21 being the cardioid rear driver as d&b like to do).

From what I understand it was also trialed at Download festival this year, to positive reviews (saw one review from someone who obviously wasn't an engineer just a reviewer in a magazine whos quote was that the sound was crystal clear all the way to the back, and how theyd really nailed the sound this year), and the one guy I know who mixed on it at Download was nothing but positive.

K

Edited by kevinmcdonough - 05 October 2017 at 12:28am
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2017 at 8:04am

they've updated that page with much more info, new videos etc Smile
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2017 at 9:12am
I hope they built a separate prototype rig for the States cos it was in use at that Vegas gig and packdown isn’t happening due to the crime scene. It’s probably full of bullet holes now
4AC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4AC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2017 at 9:41am
At least one thing is clear: B&C is happy. Tongue

mh

sub

Edited by 4AC - 05 October 2017 at 9:42am
uǝɿɿɐʌǝ6ɯo sı ʇsʞǝʇ ǝzǝp
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2017 at 9:52am
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

I hope they built a separate prototype rig for the States cos it was in use at that Vegas gig and packdown isn’t happening due to the crime scene. It’s probably full of bullet holes now

Ouch :-(
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
_Natty_ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Natty_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2017 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by 4AC 4AC wrote:

At least one thing is clear: B&C is happy. Tongue

mh

sub

a true lol
corell View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2017 at 4:17pm
As i understand it, the Low Mids are configured as an End Fire Array (opposed to a cardioid setup), meaning the sound towards the front is not affected (as it would be with cardioid). I like that.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2017 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by corell corell wrote:

As i understand it, the Low Mids are configured as an End Fire Array (opposed to a cardioid setup), meaning the sound towards the front is not affected (as it would be with cardioid). I like that.

Well, in that way it depends on your definition of "cardioid".  To me, cardioid just means a reduction of sound to the rear (or reduction of pickup in the case of mics). 

So an end fire array would just be a type of cardioid array. 

Some cardioid arrays like end fire are designed to have no effect (or as little effect as possible) on the sound (though there is a second way to set up the processing of an end fire array to give the maximum possible cancellation, with a touch of a sacrifice to the front sound). 

Other types of cardioid array like the CSA stack (the typical 3 high with one reversed stack, ironically also originally made famous by d&b before they had actual "cardioid in the box" subs) save a lot of space as they don't have the physical set up of an end fire array, but sacrifice a little of the forward sound in the process. 

But yeah the way the top cab works would be proper end fire, which is much easier to create within a single cab at mid frequencies because of the shorter wavelengths than it would be in a sub.

But yeah, in the end it's all semantics and definitions LOL

Edited by kevinmcdonough - 09 October 2017 at 10:36pm
4AC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4AC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2017 at 9:33am
Seems like more and more big manufacturers are (finally-) getting into exotic port-designs.

F.e. the d&b SL, and the JBL VTX A12 even takes it a step further:

Edited by 4AC - 06 November 2017 at 9:37am
uǝɿɿɐʌǝ6ɯo sı ʇsʞǝʇ ǝzǝp
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>