Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DBX 260...........

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukebe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DBX 260...........
    Posted: 18 September 2007 at 5:26pm
Anyone got one or used one?

Am about to buy one and just seeing what peoples veiws were on them. They're about £700 over here, or about half that in the states (plus p+p and possible duty to be paid)

Any views are welcome
Dom View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 6:36pm
Had one.  I think Toastygoast has it now.

Good crossover.  Not to be confused with the DRPA which is pretty rubbish.

Bang for buck you get a lot, with GEQ, Compressor, Feedback Suppressor, Auto Gain, Gates, Subharmonic synth if that's your bag, etc  plus the normal delay, xover, PEQ and limiters...    Routing is good - can't think of any xover config you can't do with it.  Plenty of processing power and the GUI is good.

Drawbacks are you can't network them like the 480, only two inputs (3 inputs is quite good for Stereo Mids and Tops, Mono bass and mono monitor run off a booth output).

Unlike the 480 which has a universal power supply the 260 is made in 110 and 220v versions.  If you're importing them from the US then you'll need to either get hold of an export (220v) model or find a way of running them on 110v. 

You'll need to factor in about 22% to cover VAT and import duty on top of the purchase price including shipping costs.  You might get away with less, but you should be prepared for the worst.  Use a reputable shipping company such as Fed Ex or DHL or you can easily end up getting stung with loads of hidden costs for customs clearance etc.
"It sounded like a million fire engines chasing ten million ambulances through a war zone and it was played at a volume that made the empty chair beside me bleed."
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by Dom Dom wrote:

Had one.  I think Toastygoast has it now.

Yep, and pretty happy with it. We have the use of two, the older one's still got a small wiring fault where the screen goes garbled but a reset fixes that and it's fine once you've got it started.

The limiters are pretty flexible, once you get your head around the naming convention they use and the EQ is pretty nice too. Often use the AGC (automatic gain control) to ensure that the rig is run at a nice level all night.

SteveAATW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveAATW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 6:54pm
£500~ will get you a used BSS Minidrive, £875~ will get you a second hand DP226, I'd take either of them over a 260 to be honest
sukebe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukebe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by Dom Dom wrote:

Drawbacks are you can't network them like the 480, only two inputs (3 inputs is quite good for Stereo Mids and Tops, Mono bass and mono monitor run off a booth output).

so does this mean that i have to run the mids and tops in mono?
Dom View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 10:07pm
No.  It means you can't run a monitor from a 3rd input... 
"It sounded like a million fire engines chasing ten million ambulances through a war zone and it was played at a volume that made the empty chair beside me bleed."
sukebe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukebe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 11:31pm
well, i got a small 12" + 1" wharfdale PA, i was going to use. It has its own mixer amp, and i was going to plug that into the record out of the mixer. Will this be ok, or will there be delays/other issues arrising from that?
Jack The Nutt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack The Nutt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2007 at 8:31am
Originally posted by sukebe sukebe wrote:

well, i got a small 12" + 1" wharfdale PA, i was going to use. It has its own mixer amp, and i was going to plug that into the record out of the mixer. Will this be ok, or will there be delays/other issues arrising from that?

Not sure about delay but don't think so. Main prob is no control over signal level as record out is set and not adjustable, use an aux send if it has one.
ad-d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ad-d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2007 at 1:52am
Originally posted by SteveAATW SteveAATW wrote:

£500~ will get you a used BSS Minidrive, £875~ will get you a second hand DP226, I'd take either of them over a 260 to be honest

To be honest from the specs of those 3 you'd be better off buying the Sony SRP-F300 I'm selling, cheaper than those 3 as well.  It's a high quality yet little known LMS but cost a lot more than any of them new and even now still has a superior spec and performance...

Sony SRP-F300 XTA DP226 BSS Minidrive DBX 260
sample rate 96khz 48khz 48khz 48khz
internal resolution 48 bit 40 bit 24 bit ?
Analogue inputs 2 stereo 2 stereo 2 stereo 2 stereo
Digital inputs 1 stereo zero zero zero
dynamic range over 110db 110db 108db 110db
Distortion (THD) less than 0.008% 0.02% 0.01% 0.002%

Edited by ad-d - 24 September 2007 at 1:55am
H.. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2007 at 6:27pm
But what sounds the best out of the 4 options ???
djrockstar4u View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djrockstar4u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2007 at 11:24pm
Personally I really like my Drive rack PA, it's good for touring, does what you need it to do, and it's reliable. You can count on it to last through your shows, unlike Behringer, it really is hit and miss with their stuff. But i've never had any trouble with the PA and you still get quite a bit of features.
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2007 at 11:52pm
Quote unlike Behringer, it really is hit and miss with their stuff

Again, don't brand all Behringer products the same, they have some good units in amongst the unreliable products.  There are lots of people running DCX's on some good rigs with no problems, and as some have said, would rather use the DCX over a DRPA.
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
 Post Reply Post Reply