Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DCX2496 setup with HOG's & ES18

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sulov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DCX2496 setup with HOG's & ES18
    Posted: 09 May 2021 at 10:53pm
Hello everyone, as it's begin to be warmer and warmer i finally will have a chance to tune my soundsystem in open air environment, my setup is: 

2x Hog Scoop loaded with B&C 18TBX100 

2x ES18 BPH Electrikal loaded with PD.186/2

I have some "placeholder" midtops (5x Alphard HM-3X - 2x5" and 1x comp. driver in each), I don't really want to dive into them as they will not be a topic of my question. 

all powered by QSC PLX amps and a DCX2496 DSP. 

What would be a recommended x-over points for this setup, as well as other advised settings to toggle in my DSP? 
Currently I'm driving hogs from 33hz to 66hz and ES18 from 66hz to 96hz with 24db lr filters iirc. this setup was somewhat based on what I heard on this forum and also tuned by ear just enough to get somewhere close to a pleasant sound, at least for me. I tested it in a small closed space and just didn't had a chance to even do a proper measurement, as well as I understand that it will sound completely different when taken to a open air environment. 
So what values should be good & safe for drivers as well for sound in DSP config? I'm kinda feeling that Im pushing ES18 cabs to0 high...

Also, additional question, how accurate is built in phase alignment tool in the DCX? I've read that asking for specific delay here is kind of pointless, and I understand that, but noticed that some people talked about inverting the phase after alignment when dealing with horn cabs.

And last short question, is turning the amp knobs all the way up and adjusting the levels in the DSP is a good practice? Not completely sure how it's done in the stage environment, asking to be sure.

Thanks in advance for answers!
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 11:18pm
I'd suggest you run the Hogs from 35hz to 80hz and the ES18s 80-250hz, then let the tops cover from there up. How low can they really go with any authority?  
This rig will need condiderable response shaping and time alignment so bring your test setup, you should be able to get quite good results with the DCX. The time alignment function works quite well in my experience and this is what you need with this mix of cabinets, the tops will need quite a bit of delay to line up with those horns. If the processor flips a polarity when doing this that is OK, you should be able to verify that the suggested changes do improve the response with your test rig. 
Sulov View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sulov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 11:36pm
Are you sure about running 18" drivers up to 250hz? From what I know thats kinda bad for the driver that big to run above ~120hz, maybe the fact that it sits in a closed cab have something to do with it?. Could you tell me more about that? 
fat_brstd View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fat_brstd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 12:44am
Run the hogs from 35-77 using a 48dB Butterworth slope for the high pass & 24dB L-R for the low pass.

Run the kick bins from 77-154 using 24dB slopes, you can run the kicks higher if you need to to meet your tops but they tend to get a bit boxy/honky if once they get up to about 180 which you can tame with EQ (I would use a high shelf around 180 with a gain of -3db and play around from there.

The auto time align stuff on the DCX never came up with anything that looked coherent in Smaart, just made a mess of the delays so I would avoid it. You will get better results with a simple SPL meter, a tone generator and playing around with flipping the phase.

Finally yes turning amps all the way up and adjusting on the crossover is the way to go.
Adrians Wall Sound System
Melbournes Rootical Warrior
Roots - Dub - Steppers

facebook page
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 4:14am
Originally posted by Sulov Sulov wrote:

Are you sure about running 18" drivers up to 250hz?
Yes.. the ES18 is spec'd to 250hz and even then the limitation is the enclosure design not the driver.  The response of these horn boxes will not be flat but that is where parametric EQ comes in, use it to shape the response so it's nominally flat in the passband and falls of smoothly on the highend, then apply your crossover filters. The goal is to make the actual response look as much like the modelled response as possible. 

Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 9:56pm
The ES18 can properly churn out 50-60hz with a few cabs .
When i used to run this combo always tried to get the hogs hpf low as we could around 60-55. edit> especially with a driver like a tbx where the kick from the hog will be quite sloppy.
With proper aligning theres no reason to not let the ES18 do the job when they can.
Running them to 250hz was also a thing never done.

Edited by Sypa - 10 May 2021 at 9:59pm
 Post Reply Post Reply