Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dead BBS Opal FCS 966 eq?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wivman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dead BBS Opal FCS 966 eq?
    Posted: 17 January 2011 at 8:32pm
Evening, Gents

Just tried to test my system, but found that my eq appears to be stuck in by-pass regardless of whether the by-pass buttons or press in or out.  The lights are lit to say that the signal is going through and signal is appearing at the LMS, but there is no signal registering on the eq's meters and none of the faders or controls have any effect.

Any ideas on what the problem is and how to fix it?

The manual says it uses relays to allow the signal through with the unit on by-pass or turned off.  Could it/they be faulty or stuck.  All thoughts very welcome.

Cheers

Ian     Cry
PISSHEAD View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PISSHEAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2011 at 8:41pm
The 'drunken master' strikes again.
Wivman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wivman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2011 at 8:49pm
Thanks for the link to the repair man Smile

Just wondered if anyone else had heard of this problem before I send it off to the doctors?
service dept Steve View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote service dept Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2011 at 10:42pm
If you feel competent and with the unit disconnected from the mains pop the top off and check the two fuses on the circuit board inside. You may get a certain amount of lights with one fuse gone but the relays will not power up without both intact. They are quite a low value, 500ma I think, 20mm glass ones, and sometimes go just to be spiteful. (and sometimes not so check them again if it still won't go, them off t the menders) 

Edited by service dept Steve - 17 January 2011 at 10:42pm
We are not "They", We are "The others"http://www.servicedept.co.uk -
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2011 at 11:37pm
Having spent some time in a pile of 966s recently the top comes off and you get to the main board really easily but to go further than that you have strip the thing to bits which is a bit involved.

Check the fuses and check the PSU rails, the toroidal has 3 wire to the PCB for LV so find the 0V and check you have rail above and below that, also worth checking if the relays click with the bypass buttons...
Wivman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wivman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 6:44am
Thanks, guys.  I'll check the fuses.
JJ Kaos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJ Kaos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2024 at 1:22am
I know this is a very old post but I’ve got exactly the same thing going on. Did you get yours sorted in the end? Was it just a fuse? Cheers
 Post Reply Post Reply