Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Decisions decisions...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guthix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Decisions decisions...
    Posted: 14 September 2017 at 7:47pm
Hi all,

I'll try keep this concise,

I currently have a 18" sub (Yamaha DSR 118W) and I am looking at getting some full range cabs. (My current ones are terrible).

Question 1: what full range cabs would be suitable for this subwoofer under £600-700 (pair)? Is it worth splashing out nearly £1500 on some high end full range cabs?

Question 2: My subwoofers range goes to about 140hz and I feel it isn't tight enough when it gets loud, would a crossover fix this? Setting it at around 80-90hz shall we say? Also possibly getting a budget graphic eq?

My current sound is.. ok, although I really want to optimise it to make it sound nice and tight. 

Thanks in advance Wink

P.S. This is obviously a small rig, generally just used for private shindigs in a barn.

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2017 at 7:54pm
No point doing anything with them they will be tuned correctly already. Just add more subs. Tops to go with try DSR112 or 115
Guthix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guthix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2017 at 8:14pm
I hear that the sub will run smoother if it isn't trying to reproduce the faster moving frequencies as well. Also, those tops are no where near within my budget, that would be like £1600 for the pair lol.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2017 at 8:22pm
Seen a pair go on eBay recently for just under 900
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 1:00am
The DRX12 or 15 is a  better match to the DSR sub.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 10:02am
"I feel it isn't tight enough when it gets loud,"

That´s a bit vague. What exactly do you mean? Too much sub frequencies? Not enough 'kick'? Fitting a graphic and playing around with it would give you a better idea of what is going on.

Also, does the sub have a (line-level) output to drive the satellites? If not, fitting a basic 2-way crossover will definitely help. Taking the sub out of the mid-tops always helps.

Edited by Earplug - 15 September 2017 at 7:09pm
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Guthix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guthix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 4:20pm
It begins to sound quite muddy at higher volume (not clipping). My friend suggested that this was because it's trying to reproduce the higher frequencies (90-150hz) as well as the bottom end. I was thinking I could fix this by simply using a xover on the sub.

Yes, it has two (L+R) line level output, i'll be getting a crossover very soon.

I'm considering splashing out and getting the Yamaha DXR15s, although is it really worth it? Should I just get something half the price?

I just want some full range cabinets to pair nicely with the sub.
Guthix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guthix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 4:29pm
Maybe the DBR15s? they are about £300 less.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 5:42pm
It probably gets muddy because your tops are not aligned to your subs. Using matching Yamaha DBR/DXR/DSR tops will alleviate this so long as they are mounted in the same location.
Guthix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guthix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 5:53pm
Okay, sorry what exactly do you mean by aligned?
Crashpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crashpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 6:45pm
Is the muddy sound problem with outside playing/listening too, or is it just indoors?
I'd guess muddy sound is not a problem of subwoofer playing two octaves. There must be more to it. Even the amplifier can be involved.
Nikon and Canon people should not be married to each other. Why did you let this happen?
Guthix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guthix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 7:08pm
It is muddy both indoors and out. Don't get me wrong it's still a sweet sound, it's just when you really pump it, it could do with like a LPF at 80-90hz is what I'm trying to get at. It just seems odd that the passive crossover in the cabinet has been tuned at such a high frequency.

On another note, i've done sine wave tests on the sub and it still reproduces frequencies as high as 190-200hz (can't remember to be exact). Either way, higher than specified.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>