Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Denon DNS3500 screen fault

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Denon DNS3500 screen fault
    Posted: 01 October 2013 at 1:36pm
Hi guys,
This puppy has a screen fault, nothing appears. I replaced the screen and the problem still remains. Any ideas?
Thanks
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2013 at 9:22pm
PSU fault?
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2013 at 11:34pm
You'll have to elaborate greatly to get a meaningful answer from a distance.
What checks have you made that lead you to think the screen was faulty? Was it smashed? Does the rest of the machine work ok? The info on a VFD goes through a tortuous path before it makes the pixels light up.
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Majestic View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2013 at 12:41am
May be a PSU fault.
I tried changing boards from a spare, but not even switching on now.
Do you know which components could have failed?
Thanks

Edited by Majestic - 02 October 2013 at 12:42am
Majestic View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2013 at 12:55am
Originally posted by kedwardsleisure kedwardsleisure wrote:

You'll have to elaborate greatly to get a meaningful answer from a distance.
What checks have you made that lead you to think the screen was faulty? Was it smashed? Does the rest of the machine work ok? The info on a VFD goes through a tortuous path before it makes the pixels light up.

Thanks for the reply.
No physical damage to the display, the denon logo flashed when was switched on. Everything else WAS functioning normal before I messed about.
I followed up on Eddies suggestion and changed the PSU from a spare 120v version, maybe that was a bad idea though as now it doesnt switch on at all. When i changed back to the original PSU, the denon logo had a pale flash but now there is no sign of life. All the fuses are ok and ribbon cables have been attached. What have I done?!

Edited by Majestic - 02 October 2013 at 8:06am
Masai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Masai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2013 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Majestic Majestic wrote:

Thanks for the reply. 
No physical damage to the display, the denon logo flashed when was switched on. Everything else WAS functioning normal before I messed about.
I followed up on Eddies suggestion and changed the PSU from a spare 120v version, maybe that was a bad idea though as now it doesnt switch on at all. When i changed back to the original PSU, the denon logo had a pale flash but now there is no sign of life. All the fuses are ok and ribbon cables have been attached. What have I done?!   

It does amaze me when I read on here how people go under the hood of a high voltage amplifier or a sophisticated bit of electronic kit which cost hundreds of pounds to have a poke around with no previous knowledge or experience of repairing such pieces of equipment and expect to some how fix it Confused Shocked 

You could have saved yourself a lot of bother (and now money) by just giving it out to a Denon authorised service who would have not only sorted out the problem but also give it service and software upgrade if needed. I'm not sure how old your unit is but is it still under warranty? Silly question maybe but I thought it best to ask...

I think you've learned a valuable lesson from your tinkering but I hope you get the unit sorted out. Good luck! Handshake
Facebook: Masai Judah
Majestic View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2013 at 12:58pm
Lesson learnt. Its not high voltage though, i wouldnt be sticking my screwdriver into an amplifier without discharging the capacitors first
Looks like i will be trying to get someone qualified to fix this one now. As it stands i now have 2 dead units and one fully working one to compare tests. Are there any links to free service manuals for these, all the one i can find are pay to download.
Thanks
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2013 at 8:52pm
PM sent

re high voltage - denon dns3500 uses a switchmode PSU at a very lethal 340VDC
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Masai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Masai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2013 at 9:45am
So it's a case of 2 down and 1 to go yet you want a service manual??Confused

Doesn't sound like you've learnt your lesson to me..... Oh well......
Facebook: Masai Judah
Majestic View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2013 at 1:49pm
Thanks for your help and the warning Kev.
I will be getting someone else to fix it for me
oscillo1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oscillo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2013 at 7:32pm
Hi guys,
Do you find solution for you problem?
Solution, replace ZD903 on power unit.
ZD903     00D 276 0831 902       0ZDZ2.4-Z

Regards
Majestic View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2013 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by oscillo1 oscillo1 wrote:

Hi guys,
Do you find solution for you problem?
Solution, replace ZD903 on power unit.
ZD903     00D 276 0831 902       0ZDZ2.4-Z

Regards

Thanks for your help. Do you know where to order the parts?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>