Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Design checking - modifying SMT 212 mid-tops

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Design checking - modifying SMT 212 mid-tops
    Posted: 20 February 2010 at 3:05pm
Just trying to get some advice - we've got some mid-tops shown here:

Basically we're thinking of altering their design to extend their low frequency response as the venue we have doesn't have room for any more bass cabinets and we were hoping to modify what we have to get sufficient bass out them for our purposes (not deafening dubstep style sub-bass)...

As the 12 inch drivers (as far as I know) aren't specifically designed for mid-top use then am I right in thinking there's no reason a bit of bass can't be got out of them? Had a look at them and all I can find out about them is that they are Mach 345 606s and beyond that can't find anything about them... Anyone have any idea?

So our plans were to convert the cabinets into basic bass reflex designs. Have looked on bass port calculation websites to get bass port dimensions so hoping that should be ok. Basically just looking for general feedback - do people think this is likely to work and get any bass response worth speaking of whilst maintaining reasonable mid-tops? They will be used permanently in a small venue of about 100 capacity... 
 Post Reply Post Reply