Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

designing 184 sub and need advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhighatrist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: designing 184 sub and need advice
    Posted: 08 May 2011 at 2:23am

im in the proccess of designing a portable speaker system but im new to most of this , apart from being a trainee carpenter and a free party enthusiast !! ive started lookin into the technical side of things alot more this year and ive got a basic understanding of driver ts parameters and abit of the easyer/novice stuff but im confident i could build some good quality cabs Smile 

havent built any speaker cabinets before but im planning on building a 184 sub out of 18mm birch ply and using a pd 184 driver to power it , are these the best drivers to use with this cab ??
any help or general advice from anyone would be muchly appreciated Smile 
or if someone has built one of these cabs before , whats the best way to go about it ??

im keen to listen so give me a shout

cheers all
another e vicar
Adam_Iron_Horse View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam_Iron_Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 2:34am
I would imagine these are the best drivers to go with that cab as the desginer desgined the cab around them...

not so much to do with the 184 sub but there is a guide on the home page of speaker plans about building speakers, read them might be worth even having a copy of it and following it when building.
skyhighatrist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhighatrist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 3:00am
yeah you would think so , always worth checkin tho eh .

oh right , nice one ill have a gander at that ..... im still a novice at this so cheers for your advice Smile

building the cabs will be easy enough i just need to get my head round all the electrical side of things , if you have any tips on designing/building a speaker system for outdoor use would be great if ya let me know

cheers agen
another e vicar
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam_Iron_Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 3:03am
ah wait just read your a trainee carpenter so you have a head start over me when building the system. Although there are some good tips on this site.

What do you need to know electrically?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhighatrist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 3:25am
yeah im more than confident i could build the cabinet , luckily they have all the right tools at the college workshop so i can use that Smile .
but electrical kind of things has never been my strong point if im to be honest , i could do with a hand mainly on whats the right way to wire it all up and wether to use xlr or speakon adapters . also my knowledge of amps , crossovers , cut out points and whatever else is preety minimum Confused 
literally any advice you can give me i will benefit from so im gratefull for all of this !
another e vicar
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam_Iron_Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 3:36am
Ok I would say just reading around here is your best bet once you have an idea of what speakers you are going to be using the people on here can help you more.

don't be afriad to ask questions on here if you can't find answers but do use the search function! if there is a topic that has been gone over a couple of times then they tend not to be as helpful.

Information wise a good place to start is here
http://forum.speakerplans.com/newbie-essential-reading_topic14681.html

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhighatrist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 4:04am
yeah it seems that way , this is the most 'customer freindly' site for sure !
today is the first time i have posted on the forum so wasnt to sure what the response would be but its all positive ... ill be sure to ask someone if theres any difficult patches that arent covered already but im not rushing to finish so hopefully everything should run smoothely :) cheers bey
another e vicar
 Post Reply Post Reply