Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Designing a dance stack..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 23>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote efinque Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Designing a dance stack..
    Posted: 15 September 2017 at 10:08am
Sup Speakerplans forum,

I thought I'd post this here too for additional advice.

Presumably most of you already know what a dance stack is... anyway, I've been designing these over the course of years but due to lack of resources I haven't been able to build one.

As for some background info; I've built a 15" scoop, and a 186/1850 which we couldn't get functioning due to the driver being broken. 

Originally posted on DJF (link to thread)

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

-ef
bob4 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 10:38am
Frankly that stack doesnt make much sense. Two different types of frontloaded bass horn, and then a scoop, what would be the reasoning behind this contraption?
bob4 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 10:41am
Crossover points make no sense either. Why have a scoop if you plan to play it only 250hz and up? 😐
toastyghost View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 11:20am

efinque View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote efinque Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 11:32am
Originally posted by bob4 bob4 wrote:

Frankly that stack doesnt make much sense. Two different types of frontloaded bass horn, and then a scoop, what would be the reasoning behind this contraption?

Ehm.. that's a good point which I didn't take into account.

But scoops really do well in the midrange. (edit : sorry)

Crossover points make no sense either. Why have a scoop if you plan to play it only 250hz and up? 😐

Those can be fine-tuned later on. And in my experience scoops require a substantial amount of power in the low range. But I did make an anecdote in DJF about notch filtering the scoop to make it omit the "punch" range (50-150Hz) which is sort of experimental but worth trying I guess.

Edited by efinque - 15 September 2017 at 11:37am
bob4 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 11:49am
No offense, but the way you have planned your stack suggests that you don't fully understand how and why this type of stacks are designed. Putting random boxes in a heap will not magically yield a working dance stack. Each box is a well thought compromise that is designed to work in synergy with the rest of the stack.

Maybe read some more and go back to the drawing board again after a few months?
efinque View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote efinque Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 12:02pm

No offense, but the way you have planned your stack suggests that you don't fully understand how and why this type of stacks are designed. Putting random boxes in a heap will not magically yield a working dance stack. Each box is a well thought compromise that is designed to work in synergy with the rest of the stack.

Maybe read some more and go back to the drawing board again after a few months?

Then of course there's the Funktion One Dance Stack-range which offers a very similar solution (4-way system with 2 types of bass bins) but from what I've gathered they're pricey, around 50-100k depending on the setup.

I calculated that this system could be built for, say, 10k..

EDIT : And I did consider the lens horn too but their availability is, should I say, questionable.

Edited by efinque - 15 September 2017 at 12:03pm
Risc_Terilia View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Risc_Terilia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by efinque efinque wrote:

Ehm.. that's a good point which I didn't take into account.

But scoops really do well in the midrange. (edit : sorry)

Scoops do not do really well in the midrange.  Something like a MT121 12" horn will be suitable here.  

Edited by Risc_Terilia - 15 September 2017 at 12:47pm
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 12:33pm
bob4 is right. and what you have come up with has pretty much no similarity to a fk1 dance stack.
toastyghost View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

bob4 is right. and what you have come up with has pretty much no similarity to a fk1 dance stack.

Er, I don't see anywhere that F1 was mentioned - the design is clearly influenced by the original RLA / GSA style dance stacks, with rear-loaded mid-range horns and FLH subs.
Risc_Terilia View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Risc_Terilia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Er, I don't see anywhere that F1 was mentioned - the design is clearly influenced by the original RLA / GSA style dance stacks, with rear-loaded mid-range horns and FLH subs.

Originally posted by efinque efinque wrote:

Then of course there's the Funktion One Dance Stack-range which offers a very similar solution (4-way system with 2 types of bass bins) but from what I've gathered they're pricey, around 50-100k depending on the setup.
efinque View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote efinque Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Yes, it's true that the stack concept is pretty much copied from the aforementioned companies. The bottom-end sub is basically a modified W-Bin (I have the plans somewhere..)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 23>
  Share Topic