Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Designing a dance stack..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 212223
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2018 at 5:15pm
Did you actually remove the driver to see if there was another one mounted face to face with it?
Step 1: Post on Speakerplans
Step 2: ?????
Step 3: Profit!
funkyparrot View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote funkyparrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2018 at 6:23pm
In reply to last two posts, it was 5 years ago that I tried to find 2 speakers in the B400 cab. I can't remember which way the one I saw was facing, or if it'e the front or back of the driver that's accessible. I What I do remember is that they're not round, but  tangenital (Is that correct word?) Straight lines, going off at tangents to form a circle. Made by PHL
Member Djarch had some of these, a while ago and he had to replace a driver, he may have noticed if there was another in there. I didn't think there was enough room, but there's a strong chance I'll be looking tomorrow.
On the other hand, as the PDF was that old, did they actually change the driver complement, at some point during the production run, after finding a more suitable single driver?
Meanwhile, I'm off to Wikipedia, to learn of the Isobaric principle.

Edited by funkyparrot - 17 January 2018 at 6:25pm
RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2018 at 7:37pm
The ones of 4Ds i've played with certainly had the single driver you're describing and sounded really crap (like the pair would have been raped by a TSE-215) when fed from an SAE PQM13

45-180 was the start point IIRC, cant remember where we ended up.

One of the benefits of isobaric loading is that you halve the VAS of the driver complement meaning you get the same output from a dual-driver box of half the size as you would a single driver box at full size.

To my ears it sounded EXACTLY like a driver that was in a box far too small for it (hence the search for the spec sheet and the guess that it would be an isobaric loading).

4D's came out of an install IIRC where they had things like a LOT of tannoy 12" coaxials in a line... not arrayed or anything... just in a line. 
That blatant lack of ability from the installer makes me wonder if there was an install outfit that was ripping the drivers out for some reason and only sticking half of them back in?

Good point, it could also be that they "updated" to a single driver solution that had a much lower VAS that the original... but from the sound of the ones we were using it wasn't something I'd have expected Tannoy to let loose in the wild with their name on it
Buying myself a TFL-760H... piece by piece >.<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2018 at 7:38pm
Didn't help the DJ was playing MP3s through it.... but when run up and tested with Mr. Big, etc. .WAVs it wasn't significantly better
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote funkyparrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2018 at 11:28am
 Right! Now I've had chance to look more deeply, there is definitely only one driver in the B400 cabs, that I have. There's simply no room for any more. I've added a couple of pics, to show.

I didn't take the driver out, but I pulled out the reflex port tube, 

and photographed from inside there

As you can see, there's absolutely no room for another driver.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2018 at 11:41am
Very interesting! Now we just need to find out if that’s the original ‘type 3801’ referred to or if there was a different original compliment
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote funkyparrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2018 at 6:58pm
Further research reveals that the 3801 was a round, rather than hexagonal chassis.

Edited by funkyparrot - 18 January 2018 at 7:01pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2018 at 8:36pm
The mystery continues!

Funky, do you have the opportunity to unload the driver and see if it’s likely you could load one the other way around?
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote funkyparrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2018 at 7:03pm
I didn't remove the driver, I don't want to risk damaging it, it's in a very tight space, as you've gathered. What I've done, is taken a 12 inch Jensen driver, that's the biggest I had loose, and photographed it, held about an inch away from the cab driver. The 12 inch would clear, but only just. I doubt that a 15, with the bigger magnet and basket would.

However, if you look at this, http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/161055563211    check the handling power. You would need 2 to manage 400 watts. They could well be less deep. Pity there's no pictures.

Strange how this thread has managed to enter serious discussion. I just posted a photo in response to Ian's suggestion.
Even stranger it's the B400s, under discussion. Usually, it's the IQ 10s that create interest.

Edited by funkyparrot - 19 January 2018 at 7:04pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2018 at 7:14pm
Very interesting!
I’m expecting something relatively shallow with a low Xmax but a high efficiency (more common then than the PD.156s, etc. we have now 😂)
efinque View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote efinque Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 hours 60 minutes ago at 5:49pm

Here's some shots of the mixer build..

EDIT : it's not fully functional yet though... it's missing a PSU and the master EQ, there's also something wrong with the left master channel but I'm working on it.

Edited by efinque - 21 hours 59 minutes ago at 5:50pm
valve head777 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 hours 50 minutes ago at 5:59pm
Originally posted by efinque efinque wrote:

Here's some shots of the mixer build..

EDIT : it's not fully functional yet though... it's missing a PSU and the master EQ, there's also something wrong with the left master channel but I'm working on it.

Reggae pre-amp next please Thumbs Up
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 212223
  Share Topic