Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > HD 15 horn
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Difference between HD15 & HD215

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qmastah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Difference between HD15 & HD215
    Posted: 21 November 2011 at 3:39pm
Hey Everyone,

Debating on a kick design and right now considering both options.

Is there a noticeable difference between the HD15 and the HD215 in term of frequency response and efficiency? Sounds like the HD15 would be easier to transport.

Q
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2011 at 4:24pm
As an HD215 is two HD15 cabinets in a single cab, the frequency response will go very slightly lower and you should get an extra 3dB provided you have the extra power. And yes, the HD15 would be easier to transport.
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
james4001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james4001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2011 at 3:24am
Do 2 HD15 cabs placed together like the HD215 perform the same? I would personally just build HD15s but i must admit the 215 does look pretty cool!
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2011 at 3:28am
A single HD15 is an awkward heavy cube with a PD154. Build HD215s, put a wheelbarrow style handle and castor set in them, and thank me later.
Risc_Terilia View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Risc_Terilia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2011 at 12:39pm

I've always thought of an HD as a pretty light box.

Tocooltom View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tocooltom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2011 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by Risc_Terilia Risc_Terilia wrote:

Thats what i thought, its just a cube with 2 main panels and 2 small panels with a driver, it doesnt get much lighter than that for a bass cab does it?

I would go for the 215, less trips to the van with a slight increase in weight, a 215 is big enough to put wheels on which IMO is much better than lifting and carrying boxes around!
qmastah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qmastah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2011 at 3:52pm
I'm thinking about using the HDs on top of 18" Super Scoopers.

What do you guys think would be a good x over frequency for the hd215 compared to the hd15 to take advantage of the extra boost at the lower end.

This is what I'm thinking about:
0-70hz: 18" Super Scoop loaded with Fane colossus
70-160hz: HD215 with Eminence kappa

Tocooltom View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tocooltom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2011 at 3:56pm
not much point in changing the xover freq, especially if you runing them above scoops, the extra low end you get from the HD215 will be covered by the scoops anyway. Leave the crossover as it is, but you dont want to be running your drivers down to 0hz do you?
qmastah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qmastah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2011 at 4:11pm
right, I meant

30-70
70-160

Even though the super scooper can pick up the lower HD215 frequencies, I'm thinking the HD might be better at the 70-90 range and generate a harder kick. so the extra boost from the HD215 would  really be overhead.

anways, I agree that the HD215 looks cooler!

Tocooltom View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tocooltom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2011 at 4:24pm
there's not much point building loading and running a set of cabs to cover 20hz of mid bass is there?

Run the HDs up to 160 like they are supposed to, let your mid tops do the rest, nothing will be strained unless you push it and the system will sound fine. if you want slightly more kick once the system is built, use your EQ to add it in.

They will not generate a "harder kick", they will just handle more watts within a smaller freq range
qmastah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qmastah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2011 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by Tocooltom Tocooltom wrote:

there's not much point building loading and running a set of cabs to cover 20hz of mid bass is there?

Run the HDs up to 160 like they are supposed to, let your mid tops do the rest, nothing will be strained unless you push it and the system will sound fine. if you want slightly more kick once the system is built, use your EQ to add it in.

They will not generate a "harder kick", they will just handle more watts within a smaller freq range

That's what I meant:

30-70: Super Scoops
70-160: HD215
160 Up: MT121

I was just saying that HD215 might be better at 70-90 range than scoops.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2011 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by Risc_Terilia Risc_Terilia wrote:

It's not the weight, it's the distribution of it and the opportunities for handle placement plus lack of castors. You end up hand balling a lot more than you really need to, and there's almost no benefits over doubles because you wouldn't really ever use them in singles.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>