Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Digidrive v2 limiters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moyano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2013 at 8:43pm
The file isn't locked you just can't change the attack. And yes the stasys x can take it all!
Spartan Audio View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spartan Audio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2013 at 8:46pm
You can't adjust the ratio, and if you did then it wouldn't be a limiter.

If it's the factory file that you are using then all you may need to do is adjust the level of the threshold to match the amp's gain.
http://www.spartanaudio.co.uk
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spartan Audio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2013 at 8:47pm
Stasys X can take all of that amp and a lot more. You can't adjust the attack, because you shouldn't need to. The comps and limiters are separate.
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2013 at 8:48pm
but surely the treshold and gain? Does it have adjustable compressors on the inputs to control peaks?

Pasi should be able to help you too as he knows the OEM units well afaik ;)
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spartan Audio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2013 at 8:53pm
You can set the threshold of the limiter yes. You can download the software from the Void site and run it in demo mode to have a look at the controls.

It's very simple and comprehensive. Which is why I think there is something else going on here.
moyano View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moyano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2013 at 9:04pm
I really can't see what else is goin on unless the amp has a problem. Surely when the limit light on the digidrive is on the amp shouldn't get louder. I only managed to keep the amp at bay when I reduced the threshold so much that the clip light started to come on! Which is why I asked this question. I thought maybe the clip light had to be on to actually limit or something.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2013 at 9:10pm
Isnt it as simple as:

Disconnecting Cabs
Feeding input at "war" level/real world scenario
Adjust gain and limiter treshold till the Amp wont run into clip lights
?

Take care not to feed the inputs a too hot signal to avoid burning/clipping them.

Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spartan Audio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2013 at 9:12pm
I'd get the amp checked to be sure. 

Like previously mentioned, the metering on the V2 is relative to the limit level set on the unit. Because you're setting the limit level so low it's probably having a real hard time controlling the level hence the clip lights.

You might then just be sending a horribly square signal to the amp that it doesn't like.

It's all just conjecture without being able to see and hear what's going on though.

Like I say, I would get the amp out and do some testing to make sure it operates correctly, maybe have someone give it a quick once over. If you're not sure about the digidrive I'm sure Void will give it a quick look to make sure it's operating to factory spec too.

We've got 6 of them and no problems so far though.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spartan Audio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2013 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by bass*en*mass bass*en*mass wrote:

Isnt it as simple as:

Disconnecting Cabs
Feeding input at "war" level/real world scenario
Adjust gain and limiter treshold till the Amp wont run into clip lights
?

Take care not to feed the inputs a too hot signal to avoid burning/clipping them.

This.

As long as when you connect the load to the amp it doesn't stress the amp so much that 'clipping' occurs earlier. An excess amount of subharmonic frequencies or unloaded drivers etc etc... (something freak).
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2013 at 9:18pm
Someone on here with an "intelligent" Amp must be able to tell the real impedance of the Stasys X at full tilt. If its much lower than 4Ohm the regular MF7k might struggle with the load indeed..
In that case you should get in touch with Andy or get bigger Amps :)
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spartan Audio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2013 at 9:23pm
The Arcline X has shown 0.8ohm at points when run in pairs at certain frequencies hung off our XE6000 (we blew one up this way when we first demo'd them), so it's not unreasonable to assume that due to similar loading principles the Stasys X wouldn't be similar.

Toastyghost will be able to give you the proper answer to this as he has enough Armonia to measure a small tidal wave. And Stasys X.
Pasi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2013 at 9:25pm
Not sure exactly how Void version is done, but CLIP on the unit indicates the limiter kicking in, not the actual clipping of the signal.

You can't rely on limit settings directly as the amp sensitivity makes a big difference on this.  Output level meters most like on Void units as well show dBus, so use that information together with the information regarding amp sensitivity to adjust the limiter to right output level.

Ratio cannot be changed and i don't think Void has compressor in the unit.

Edit: They seem to have separate limit light, so in that case CLIP should indicate more than 6dB gain reduction happening.

Edited by Pasi - 08 September 2013 at 9:29pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>