Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Discussing plans for new small soundsystem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillike_natnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Discussing plans for new small soundsystem
    Posted: 29 October 2019 at 2:24pm

Hey guys,

Me and a couple of friends are thinking about building a small sound system. Our focus will be on hosting some small outdoor/indoor events, I’d say for approx. 150 people. We plan on playing different kinds of music such as techno, house, drum and bass, dub etc. Basically it should be capable of playing most dance music styles nicely. Besides, a logical possibility for expansion later on is also desirable.

For a first investment, our budget is about €3500 - €4000. We already got our hands on a DSP (Behringer DCX2496, we suspect it will suffice for now) and two 2x1000W amps of which one channel is broken (so we have a total of 3x1000W channels).

None of us has built a sound system before, but we’ve been through many many forums. We would like to receive some feedback / thoughts on the following setup;

-        Subs: 2x Hog Scoop (18LW1400 loaded 1000W RMS@8Ohm) 

-        Kickbins: 2x ES18-BPH (Fane Colossus 18SB loaded 1000W RMS@8Ohm) 

-        Midtops:

2x Lavoce Sistema F153.14N (Waf153.00: 500W RMS@8Ohm +  DN14.25T 80W RMS@8Ohm) http://www.loudspeakersplus.com/v/vspfiles/templates/driven/pdfs/LAVOCE_Sistema%20F153.14N_SuggDes_RevB.a.pdf

OR

2x MT130 (PD121: 300W RMS @8Ohm + BMS4550 80W RMS @ 8Ohm)

Some questions we have:

• We are not sure whether we should pick the Sistema or MT130 for tops. Our thought was that for small events e.g. houseparty or renting them to make some small side money, we can use just a 2x Sistema setup as these cabinets can be used for full range as well. Which would you suggest?
  • Regarding amplifiers for the hogs + es18s: How much headroom power should we be aiming at? Would wiring the hogs in parallel and kicks in parallel and then use a separate bridged amp for either be most efficient? E.g. one Crown XTI4002 (3200W Bridge-Mono @ 4Ohm) for two hogs, and another Crown XTI 4002 for two es18s?

Any suggestion / input / whatever would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Edited by Lillike_natnek - 29 October 2019 at 2:26pm
Fracture_clinic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fracture_clinic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2019 at 2:41pm
Just a quick note on the mid-tops, MT130 sound weird up close. At Frechtek 25 they only sounded good from 30m back and they were flown high! For 150 people I'd definitely consider something else. Out of the two, go with Lavoce Sistema
DJ-Dulux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Dulux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2019 at 2:50pm
Welcome to the forum,
As you haven't built anything maybe consider going for something off-the-shelf to start with, especially for the tops. I was in a  similar situation and eventually went for some SoundGear speakers, the R&D is done and for the cash you have it should be possible.

Cheers,

Dupe...
Dupe...
Lillike_natnek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillike_natnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2019 at 3:50pm
Thanks! Cool suggestion, with which bass cabinets did you pair them when you started out? We'll definitely keep these in our minds, thing is, building is also part of the fun LOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fracture_clinic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2019 at 3:53pm
Just built a small scoop system so shout me for any build questions when you get stuck in! if you need ofc.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2019 at 3:58pm
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but 4000 Euros is probably not enough cash to do anything other than get the wood and components. You need to also factor in cable, connectors, amp racks, and such like. Just to consider that, so the project doesn't lose momentum is a good idea.

Your bass amp will likely cost the best part of 1000 Euro if you're after something that'll let you expand. An XTi4002 even in bridge won't do a lot, unfortunately. If you're considering Orbit 4s, then you should also consider amps from SoundGear too.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fracture_clinic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2019 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but 4000 Euros is probably not enough cash to do anything other than get the wood and components. You need to also factor in cable, connectors, amp racks, and such like. Just to consider that, so the project doesn't lose momentum is a good idea.

Your bass amp will likely cost the best part of 1000 Euro if you're after something that'll let you expand. An XTi4002 even in bridge won't do a lot, unfortunately. If you're considering Orbit 4s, then you should also consider amps from SoundGear too.

I managed for to build a two-wide for less. Not going to win any awards but it can certainly be done. I think the key point here is expansion.

You can buy more amps in the future or sell and upgrade when the time is right. In terms of spending with respect to the first iteration of the rig 4k should be fine.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillike_natnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2019 at 4:17pm
@Facture_clinic: Thanks, will do! You care to share some more details about that small scoop system? What other cabs, which amps etc?

@Toastyghost: We made an indicative list of costs, with some budget for things such as paint, wheels, cables etc. as well. We figured that 4k should be enough for starting out, doing more investments with time. We won't need the best amps and best dsps in the beginning. Also, we don't mind buying second hand. If expansions happen in the future we can adjust our setups and buy new amps and sell the old ones. Why do you think those XTI4002s won't do much? According to the numbers they should provide plenty of power, or am I overlooking something?

edit: additionally, we're figuring out ways to buy components and wood etc. without VAT, and since we're situated in the Netherlands should save us about 20% in costs

Edited by Lillike_natnek - 29 October 2019 at 4:20pm
DJ-Dulux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Dulux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2019 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by Lillike_natnek Lillike_natnek wrote:

Thanks! Cool suggestion, with which bass cabinets did you pair them when you started out? We'll definitely keep these in our minds, thing is, building is also part of the fun LOL

I actually went for 4 x Orbit 3 from the same place. Really happy with it, sounds great and looks good too.

Dupe...
Dupe...
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2019 at 10:44am
I would also consider using some better LF drivers for sub. The 18LW1400 is absolutely not bad but it can't be compared with the newer generation of drivers. 

I also pm'ed you about some stuff, maybe you're interested Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lillike_natnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2019 at 11:05am
We picked those because they're available from a dutch retailer, they're relatively cheap and they were in the list of recommended drivers. Which one do you think would be better?

I think I can't receive pm's, at least I can't find my inbox on the forum (sorry, new here)..
RiddimKid View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RiddimKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2019 at 11:51am
There’s always ligwa’s eco scoops. They cost about £400 fully loaded. He also does a kick bin and top cab now. Could build a solid system, or just one stack of 2 scoops,1 kick bin and 2 tops for around £2600

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>