Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Distance between compression driver / horn and mid
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Distance between compression driver / horn and mid

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheif_Stringer_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Distance between compression driver / horn and mid
    Posted: 23 September 2016 at 8:38pm
Hello,

Im in the process of designing some 1.4 + 12 x 2 (horn at the top, with both mids below it) reflex mid-tops and due to the adding of a text logo and design in general there could be around 85mm of space from the bottom very of the horn to the top of the midrange chassis, im just wondering how much impact this would have on sound? The mids are 18sound 12nd710s and the horn is a faital lth-142 loaded with a faital hf146 and ill probably but crossing around the 1.4k mark

I know the ideal placement would be close as possible to get more of a point source, but im willing to make a little compromise to sound for the aesthetic side of things.

Im just wondering how much of a concern to sound around the given distance between them would have?

Steve20131 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve20131 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2016 at 9:32pm
Will be fine in the vertical plane,  look at jbl eons for instance..  wouldn't exceed 12-15cm though for folks close up
pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2016 at 3:04am
I am not quite sure what will happen when we'll get near edge of cone or horn mouth, so on following text I focus only on center to center distance, which can be assumed to be worst case scenario, also I assume both drivers have same phase response:

In an ideal world you would want two sources to be at least within 1/3 or even 1/4 of wavelength apart. Wavelength in this question would be the crossover frequency, assuming the acoustics crossover to be same as electronic, 1400Hz. That is the frequency where two sources will have most overlap going on. Moving away from that point in either direction, other source will get quieter and thus won't affect the summation that much.

Full 1400Hz wavelength is 24cm. Having center to center spacing of 8cm (1/3 wavelength) will be impossible with typical arragnment of say, 12" cone with 32cm driver diameter and let's say 20cm HF horn. If those two sources were within 1/3 wavelength away from each other, they would sum positively on full 180 degree vertical front field of that loudspeaker. Of course cone beaming and horn dispersion characteristics come to play here but that's not the point right now.

If these sources were put right next to each other, center to center spacing would be 26cm (32/2+20/2). This means that measured at 90 degree off axis vertical, these two sources would emit sound almost exactly wavelength apart and would show some kind of summation behaviour, depending on signal. I don't bother drawing or calculating triangles right now but I assume that somewhere around 40-70 degree off axis vertical they would be half a wavelength off, so that's where you would get phase cancellation at the crossover frequency.

This is somewhat academic with typcal PA loudspeakers that have something like 40-60 degree nominal total vertical dispersion anyway.

Actually I just bothered to inspect your example

12" chassis radius = 16cm
Space between 12" and horn = 8,5cm
Horn height = 24cm, center to lowest point = 12cm
12" to HF center to center distance = 16+8,5+12 = 36,5

With these measurements you will get cancellation at crossover frequency around 20-30 degrees off axis vertical. Time difference between HF and 12" will affect this and so do dispersion behaviour of both sources. it will also be different going down or up the vertical axis.

There might be few brain farts somewhere, I should be sleeping right now and not thinking about these things.
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2016 at 5:35am
extremely steep slopes eithout phase distortion (FIR) will make sure there will never be a problem since there are never two sources playing the same frequency.
But i guess you wont be taking that route.
That said, even if we said it would be terrible, would you even consider changing the design?
Why not put the logo above the horn, or below the woofers?
Best regards,
Teun.
pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2016 at 9:45am
Teunos you are more scientific than me, would you agree with my post? Wrote it half sleep Smile
Cheif_Stringer_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheif_Stringer_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2016 at 11:30am
Thanks everyone, ive had a couple of reads over all that and i think i get the idea, as for changing the design im really not sure, i sometimes struggle to let go of things lol Cry, the end plan would be to have 4 of these speakers all angled on top of a stack of subs and kicks, so as a result of that im guessing horizontal dispersion could be fine, it wont be for big crowds too hence the front radiating midtops.

I guess my question is how much worse do you guys think it would sound than having the horn and mid near touching? a little or alot? bearing in mind ill be using a processor for the crossover points and slopes, ive considered other / no logo placements put for the appearence to be special to me i would have to be as i described really, although i could get the dsitance closer to the 7.7 mm mark?

Again, im willing to make a little compromise to the sound, just not too big of a one since im investing what for me is alot of time and money into this
pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2016 at 1:15pm
What do you mean? "How much?" How would you rate it? All I'm saying there will be cancellation lobes on vertical axis not that far off from straight on axis. If you want to push those cancellations further away from on axis, you need to have those sources closer to each other. When listening on axis, you will most likely not notice much difference in having sources as close to each other as compared to 85mm gap between. Some tiny "image" difference could be heard I guess but you never know until you try.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheif_Stringer_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2016 at 1:27pm
I guess its hard to quantity with words that will be interprated diffrently but basically i guess i was looking for anyone saying no way dont do it it will completely ruin things, whereas it seems like your saying its not ideal for the situation but not the end of the world.

I think ill probably just deal with the little space ill have between, the sound system i heard which inspired me to want to make reflex boxes actually has space between the horn and mids for a similar design and uses what i believe to be the 1" version of my horn, and that was probably the system which has sounded nicest to me and i loved the mids and highs, so i guess the space cant be too big a deal

thanks mate
b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2016 at 1:29pm
Ok, so I use horns and totally separate comp boxes for treble. I keep them as close as possible in the stack but they could be closer if the units did not have separate walls, and feet and all the stacking configurations vary. You do want to be as close as possible, but the further apart they are, the further back I need to be before they sound normal. Close up, they separate, and you hear treble over here and mid over here. I would call it a pretty small problem, but that is what I find. Keep them as close as possible, but scientifically, the treble is almost always a little too far from the center of a medium-large format mid driver, especially if it is hornloaded, without doing like a coaxial arrangement of some sort.

You don't need people's permission to make a compromise for whatever reason you want. Expect a little criticism and some debate on here, but people want to see you succeed. If your plan is precious, make ONE and make sure you like the prototype. You probably will, but if it sounded awful for some reason, you save time and money by not making a whole set, and back to the drawing board.

Edited by b grade - 24 September 2016 at 1:37pm
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2016 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by pfly pfly wrote:

Teunos you are more scientific than me, would you agree with my post? Wrote it half sleep Smile

Will reply tonight, am at a gig now
Best regards,
Teun.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheif_Stringer_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2016 at 2:03pm
@b grade

Thanks man,

well the design im making will mean that the 2 x 12 section, logo, and horn section are actually all seperate, seperate baffles just joined together by some smaller parts of ply on the top and bottom of the logo section (glued and screwed), they will look kinda seperated which imo will look 'cool', but anyways, regarding prototyping, the beauty of this design means that before joining the horn section, logo section and 2x12 section together, i could simply put the horn straight on top of the 2x12s and use parts of thin sheet to keep increasing the distance and see what i make of it, that way the sections could be used for the final model and the prototype, the awkward thing is i currently have no dsp or amps or anything yet.

Im glad you consider what you said a small problem, its up to me to do what i want but im just so inexperienced im just trying to hear some opinions, just by being logical it did occur to me that the closer to the speakers you are the more difference the distance makes, and as stated this will be a system used for smaller crowds

Edited by Cheif_Stringer_ - 24 September 2016 at 2:04pm
pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2016 at 4:24pm
If you are crossing from HF to two 12" drivers at 1,4kHz you are making it worse, but then again that is something most people have been doing for loong time and been satisfied. You are going to have three sources spaced 36cm and 32cm apart.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>