Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Distro Advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 10:54am
Real men - said with tongue firmly in cheek. My "day job" is lighting so a little interdepartmental banter. With the advent of switch mode PSU's and LED and Laser source lighting and projection the actual current draw of sound and lighting rigs has dropped significantly. (Side note - lights like the JDC Line are reversing that trend, high power LED sources - or arrays of lots of them - are getting more power hungry and presenting a bigger ratio between base load and peak demand)

It's worth checking out the tech specs of the venues you want to play in, for each tour I compile a spreadsheet of venue info to make sure I'll not be suprised by a long power run (Cambridge corn exchange has lighting power on SL and needs about 17m to get to SR) or an outdated mains connector (Glasgow Barrowlands is still on camlock but have adaptors in house) or the need for longer trusses (Doncaster dome is 15m between points and *most* tours of venues that size are on 12m / 40ft trusses) 
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 5:52pm
it's hard to find a 32A distro that has everything you would want. the best I found was built by another forum member but isn't quite what I would want.
power in ceeform on front panel
traffic light lamps on incomer
RCBOs with C/D type curve - 2*16A to powercons, 1*20A to two powercons, 1*10A to C13s is about as much load diversity possible
analogue voltage and current meters plus digital meter with power factor etc

never seen all that on a commercial product but there are companies that do custom jobs.

Boxes-R-Blue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxes-R-Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 2:13am
Hit up Conor @ Guildford cable company, on ARSEbook

Just to be clear NO 32A rack distro needs rcbo/rcbo as the 18th says the 32A supply must carry a 30/30 device so it is tit on fish due to zero possibility of discrimination (Whilst knit wear clad numpties don't like this word, electrical systems do!! :-) )

Truth is with that payload your max current draw will not be much over 40 ish amps ( you don't say what impendence load you are driving which kinda has a huge factor here) so a 63A single phase would be ideal (most venues offer 125/3 Lx and 63A single for audio) but if you do smaller gigs a 19 pin soca input may suite so you can run 6x13A/32A single/32A 3phase and 63A single all in spec with relevant jumper cables....

Truth is I doubt those amps could take out a 32A C-curve supply....

Kinda Been there, Kinda done that, YOU COULDN'T handle my bar bill!
Andylaser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andylaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

it's hard to find a 32A distro that has everything you would want. the best I found was built by another forum member but isn't quite what I would want.
power in ceeform on front panel
traffic light lamps on incomer
RCBOs with C/D type curve - 2*16A to powercons, 1*20A to two powercons, 1*10A to C13s is about as much load diversity possible
analogue voltage and current meters plus digital meter with power factor etc

never seen all that on a commercial product but there are companies that do custom jobs.

KES Power & Light will build custom distros. Tell them what you want and they will build it.
https://www.kes.co.uk/
"music so loud, that if we move in next door to you; your lawn will die" - Lemmy
mattd View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2022 at 12:35am
32amp single phase will be fine.

On a type C breaker you can pull short peaks 3x 32 amps as I understand.

Unless you have huge venues get a rack mount 32.

The Kelsey PD7 /32 is plenty in my eyes. We have run huge rigs while still supplying 32a to the next rig with no issues. And I mean huge rigs. Di not underestimate how much you can pull thought a 32 type C breaker. Even your 13a plug will take huge peaks.

We have tripped 32a mcb but running multiple inf8 on absolutely huge loads.

Edited by mattd - 27 July 2022 at 12:06pm
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2022 at 4:34pm
slight thread jack and possibly not that useful but thought it might be of interest as slightly unusual:

Adastra DP-8
32A C-type incomer. 10A outlets controlled by microprocessor switched relay with additional blade fuse protection. also has remote switching activated by 12V, timer functions, power sequencing etc.

seems to have been discontinued due to low sales and I think I just bought the last one in Europe.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12