Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dj booth monitors that get as low as 40-45 hz?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will_H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dj booth monitors that get as low as 40-45 hz?
    Posted: 12 September 2018 at 11:07am
I’m looking to purchase some active Dj booth monitors that reach lower than the (what seems to be) 50-55hz norm. So far my options are Mackie thump 15’s, 39hz (-3db).... and that’s it. Does anyone have any other recommendations? Age, Used/new, doesn’t matter. My only requirements really are that I would prefer that they were active.

Thanks,

Will.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2018 at 11:12am
Very much doubt the Mackie will do 39hz at -3db
Will_H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will_H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2018 at 12:18pm
My thinking was that the specs are achievable at lower volume but not so the closer you get to max? These will be roughly 2m away from our ears, so running quite a bit lower in volume than say front of house use.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2018 at 1:00pm
I thought the mackies did 39hz at -10db.... I've been looking at the spec's lately as somebody I know wants his converted from active to passive
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Will_H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will_H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2018 at 1:19pm
Apparently -10db is 32! Maybe these are the specs for the latest incarnation? Or lies 
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2018 at 8:26pm
Simple question, if you're going to be using them live, as in with a main PA system with subs, why do you need 40Hz monitors in the booth?  You won't hear it.
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2018 at 8:40pm
simply use subs at booth aswell?
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2018 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by ceharden ceharden wrote:

Simple question, if you're going to be using them live, as in with a main PA system with subs, why do you need 40Hz monitors in the booth?  You won't hear it.

^^This, in my experience there's so much bass coming from front of house you could probably high pass the monitors at 100hz and not notice.
Will_H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will_H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2018 at 9:21pm
In the venue I’ve been using the whole area around the booth is booming and farting constantly. It’s probably down to the placement of the main system but I can arrange it any other way really. If I turn the monitors that I have right up it does the job, but it’s way too loud that close to my face. I was thinking something with a better range would allow me to turn them down? 
The low end of my current monitors is 60hz. A sub or two would be great but it’s just more gear to dismantle, transport and store. I’m open to tips, if it isn’t actually going to improve anything much, I’ll stick to what I have.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2018 at 9:35pm
More bass in the booth is NOT the answer!

Chances are the reason it's sounding too loud is that your current monitors aren't comfortable running at that volume and you're getting distortion etc.  I suspect what you need is just some monitors which can produce the same volume while remaining clean and still having some headroom.

What are your current monitors?
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2018 at 9:47pm
Define ‘more’

More boxes that extend response but ALIGNED to the mains and then inverted for cancellation can make a huge difference. Even more so if you keep the lowest and highest bass notes to mix from

Better design is the answer. There are no magic bullets.
Will_H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will_H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2018 at 11:52pm
Monitors are KEMPTON GT12 by FBT. They are good speakers to be fair, I have used them FOH over bins for smaller venues and the sound is quality. Lacking in bottom end on their own though. They are happy at low or belting volume, the sound is crystal clear. It’s just up close in a booth scenario, I find I need to turn them up to get the bass. There’s no distortion, it’s just very loud that close to me. They are straight out of my ‘booth’ on my mixer, so no eq. Could this be the answer, get a sepperate eq on them?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>