Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DJ mixers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DJ mixers
    Posted: 02 February 2013 at 12:43pm
Pioneer DJM-800/900 vs Allen & Heath Xone 92 vs Denon DN-X1700 / 1600
What's people's views on these models. Which is best and why in your opinion?
I know there are others like Formula Sound and Eccler etc but I am just interested in views on the Pioneers, Denons and A&H

Edited by QSS - 02 February 2013 at 12:44pm
"Music is life"
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2013 at 12:54pm
You'll find the dubstep / cheese / bedroom DJs will typically pick the pioneer, the deep house crowd will go nutty over the 92, and the denon picked by those that want to be different ;)

If it was for me, I'd have the 92 in a heartbeat. For hire though, the 8/900.
a1dl View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a1dl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2013 at 1:01pm
It depends on the application.   If it is for your own use, vs if it is for satisfying DJ riders.

The Formula Sound PM series are excellent build and sound quality, with a serious power supply, in the same league as the long discontinued Cloud CXM, of which we still have one, sadly unused for probably 5+ years.

However, nowadays DJs always ask for Pioneer DJM or occasionally A&H Xone, so that's what we provide.   I've never seen a DJ rider requesting a Denon. Ecler or Formula Sound mixer.

From your list, if I were buying to satisfy personal preference, it would have to be a PM-100, however as a business buyer, the DJM900 / DJM2000 will make us more money, as it's something our customers want.
http://www.eventpahire.co.uk
JR.junior View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR.junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2013 at 1:22pm
A&H Xone 92 top mixer.
Support the scoop technology, larger mouth plays louder!
b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2013 at 3:30pm
I would take the A&H, but I have known some people who highly object to the tight layout and the double mid band eq.  IMO, they are just wrong, but they do tend to get all whiny about it.  Everyone knows how to play on a DJM, but amongst the people I work with, lots would rather not use Pioneers.  They are usually less whiny about it though than the A&H objectors.  Dennon is a good brand, but most people I know have had no exposure to their stuff, and they like it if they are flexible to learning new gear on stage and don't like it if they are not.
QSS View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2013 at 11:09pm
Ok so we all agree the pioneers are best for being Ryder friendly. But which has the best sound quality?
"Music is life"
b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2013 at 11:22pm
A&H IMO.
trance addict View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trance addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2013 at 3:01am
Pioneer fed with digi in to spdif out connected to an external dac >> best sound
"There are two kinds of fools,

One says-this is old and therefore good.

The other says-this is new and therefore better."

-Bob Katz
Dreadlocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreadlocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2013 at 6:36am
Cutty I know that you have not included Rane, but I have used the Rane 62 and I feel IMHO that the sound quality is VERY good, with the added bonus of including serato (for computers) which is on many DJ ryders

Edited by Dreadlocks - 03 February 2013 at 6:37am
Its Not About Having Everything Thing You Want,
Its About Wanting Everything You Have
a1dl View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a1dl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2013 at 10:36am
Originally posted by trance addict trance addict wrote:

Pioneer fed with digi in to spdif out connected to an external dac >> best sound
That's ideal, if the DJs are using Rekordbox or just playing CDs/USBs.   But more often than not, they want Serato, which is only analogue.
http://www.eventpahire.co.uk
MessyM2k8 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MessyM2k8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2013 at 10:55am
I use a DJM 800 with Innofader cross-fader and love it, the sound quality is as good as any other mixer, i have also owned a formula sound FSM 600 i couldn't tell the difference in sound between that and the 800 they both sound excellent.

As someone has suggested i would have a look at Rane they make some excellent mixers, the best scratching mixers on the planet.

A & H are good all rounders i'm not overly keen on the extra eq , just another knob for the dj to twiddle, there not as intuitive as Pioneer but still a good mixer

Never used a Denon so couldn't comment.

For me it would be either DJM or Rane.
jimmy p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmy p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2013 at 11:43am
the allen and heath 4 band eq seems to be so misunderstood .

rather than thinking of it as having 2 midrange eq 

think of it as 2 bass eq , low and low mid .

the 2 can be used as a kick drum tone control for superb sounding lows in the mix 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>