Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DJ Monitors.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2007 at 10:14am
Err... correct me if I'm wrong but... if you delay the monitors to the FOH system.. surely that's going to make mixing / beat matching almost impossible? (the pre mix in the headphones will always be a few ms ahead of the monitors).

The other way round perhaps.. delay the FOH to the monitors (measured from the DJ booth)... that could work.. but hardly worth it I would have thought.

Edited by adambomb - 09 August 2007 at 10:15am
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2007 at 10:28am
How would you delay the FOH to the monitors if the FOH is further away than the monitors?  There's no way to advance FOH so that the sound comes out of it before it's left the DJ mixer!

You could always delay the headphones too! (There are products out there to do it).  In practise you generally just don't bother with time aligning it all.
adambomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2007 at 10:39am

OK, OK.. bit of a mixup...(I am a newb after all).... but my argument still stands, it would be almost impossible to mix on delayed monitors (unless, like you say, you delayed the headphones by exactly the same amount.

Don't you time align your FOH stacks?

Edited by adambomb - 09 August 2007 at 10:42am
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2007 at 10:48am
Yes, mixing on delayed monitors would be difficult (depending on how much of a delay there was) although it's quite fun to watch a DJ try Evil%20Smile

I do time align within a stack or between main and infill/delay stacks, I just meant that it's rare to bother time aligning monitors, probably because it causes more problems than it solves.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2007 at 12:20pm
I would not be happy if my monitors were delayed wrt the headphones! it would make life tricky. Usually the double thump from a monitor/FOH at the DJ booth comes from the reflected wave off the furthest wall. (Assuming booth and main system points the same way).
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2007 at 1:11pm

O.K. then so it's back to the loud monitor, so that everything else is obliterated. It's the easiest way out.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2007 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by TONY.A.S.S. TONY.A.S.S. wrote:

Here's one of our standard DJ monitors. 15 plus a 2. 600 watts bass, 80 watts top. Passive and easy to build.

They definitely look loud LOL
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2007 at 3:48pm
Would you believe, these cabs are painted with ferrari corsa rosso paint, but turn orange when photographed with a digi.
Rog View Drop Down

Rogers Archive Posts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2007 at 2:25am
Yep, never delay dj moitors with respect to FOH.

And moitors as close and at ear height to the dj as possible.

markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2007 at 2:33pm
Tony, is the throat in that horn off centre??? Looks as though it would direct more HF down toward the audience....... presumably the reason for it. Are they commercially available or is it one you manufacture yourself.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2007 at 4:37pm

Mark the horn is asymetric. 60deg hori. and the vert. top angle is 10deg and the lower is 30 I did this one orignally for our MX900. It is for sale.
phaze one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phaze one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2007 at 1:09pm
i like those monitors, there pretty much what i have in mind, Does anyone recomend a suitable driver for me to design a cab around?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>