Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DJ Monitors.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2007 at 4:52pm

B and C 15PZB100.
phaze one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phaze one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2007 at 1:11pm

the biggest i can go realy is 12" as the monitors wil be hung from a low ceiling.

i have been having a mess around on winisd, inputing differnt drivers, and alot of the drivers i was orginally interested in, like the pd122, and p audio c12-500mb havent got much low frequency ouput, even tho in there specs they say they can perform to 40 - 50 hz.

with that in mind i input the details for the eminence delta 12, which in winisd looked alot better, with a lower cut off frequency.

but the eminence driver is only £50 and if the age old saying of if 'you get what you pay for' is true then would i be wasting my money with the eminence driver? im just stuck as i dont know what driver to go for and dont want to end up wasting money on a driver that wouldnt suit my needs.
adambomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2007 at 1:27pm
I would filter any bass below 50hz on the monitors anyway.. no need.
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2007 at 2:50pm

What about B and C 12PLB76. 350 watts 50-2000 hz 98.5 db
loud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2007 at 5:13pm

i want to bild these monitors for my sound system.
does anyone have the these plans
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2007 at 5:22pm
Cute! That's made as short & as narrow as possible. It looks freshly sprayed too. Do you know who's it is or is it just a pic you acquired ?
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2007 at 5:32pm
They are made by TonyASS. They are featured earlier in this thread.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2007 at 6:11pm
I see! Should of guessed with the B&C box in the background - You can see no comedian constructed that.
SteveAATW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveAATW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2007 at 2:40am
As a DJ and engineer I'd say the most important thing is something with as soft a top end as possible and a clearly defined bottom end. One of the main things DJs are listening for whilst mixing is the bass area so if its muddy or rolls off to high the monitor is going to be turned up louder to try and compensate. The best DJ monitoring setups normally have a seperate sub to give the DJ the same bass the dancefloor gets.

If you can do without a compression driver do it, if not use a decent one and max size of 1" - then cross it as close to 4 or 5kHz as you can. When you're standing 2 feet away from it for hours on end the last thing you want is ringing ears caused by a distorting HF. We've got a Res 1 + F118 monitor setup in the booth and DJs have noted they get nowhere near the earache they used too and mixing has improved no end due to the increased clarity in the monitoring.

Also as Tony said - DJs will always want it louder, so design something which will virtually kill them at high volume so that they keep it at a reasonable level. If you put something which is underpowered or 'just enough' in they will blow it up or burn it out within weeks.

Oh and horn loaded LF helps stop feedback from turntables too.
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2007 at 2:19pm
coax drives could help a lot with coherence for very nearfield and off axis monitoring. a driver with demodulating rings is prob worth the extra £s. not really worth trying to get lower than 70Hz out of a monitor - sub will come from the FOH anyway and sub in the monitors is just going to give you feedback issues and make them impractically large or insensitive. if the DJs are going to have access to the monitor volume just make sure the drivers have enough RMS that they can't be blown.
4DPA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4DPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2007 at 3:02pm
Anyone find that though positioning is critical.

It is so often compromised by circumstance and the best monitors can seem inadequate. 

Situations such as the nasty slap off the back wall yet the promotor wants to minimise the footprint on the dance floor pushes the dj right back and the wedge ends up facing said wall and accentuating the problem. 

The red arch in se1 is a good example where the constant chatter of reflections richocheting wildly drives dj's to the point of utter desperation.  Headphones jammed on one ear, head stuck in a wedge, eyes rolling sweat flying and  only 32 bars left  to sort it out.

...........  sweet sight but not ideal and it means something has to suffer.
bs8901 compliant
james folkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james folkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2007 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by 4DPA 4DPA wrote:

The red arch in se1 is a good example where the constant chatter of reflections richocheting wildly drives dj's to the point of utter desperation.  Headphones jammed on one ear, head stuck in a wedge, eyes rolling sweat flying and  only 32 bars left  to sort it out............

what a beautiful mental image, i thank you sir for brightening an otherwise dreary winter day!

james.
mardy hippy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>