Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DJM 800 power gone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaygro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DJM 800 power gone
    Posted: 03 January 2012 at 2:46pm
Hi guys,

First time to post here. Right, here's what happened....

The mixer is about 4 years old and is only used at home. A few months back I was having a mix and the sound cut on channel 2 once the fader was pushed to the top. It was still coming through perfect on the cue and would come back if I dipped the fader slightly. Anyway, I was in the middle of a mix so I switched the wires onto another one as a quick fix. The other day I tried the channel again and had the same problem so I took off the fader plate to have a look.

IDIOT ALERT...
I fiddled about with the wire to see if anything was loose but before I was done I turned the mixer on and it shorted (or at least I think it did..... nothing would come on at all). So I checked the fuse on the plug and swapped it with another 5amp to see if that was the problem but it wasn't. Now to make things worse (I'm absolutely kicking myself here) I decided to open up the mixer to see if I could spot anything. After a while of messing about and jiggling wires, I plugged it back in only to see a spark on the AC inlet (I had taken the screws off that so it gave a bit of room on the wires going inside the mixer). So whatever the problem was, obviously I've made it worse now.

Looking for some advice here (I should have come on here in the first place instead of messing around). Pretty smashed after Christmas so just wondering if it's a relatively easy fix. Is it just a case of replacing the AC inlet assy and one of the fuses to get the power back up. If that's the case, and it gets my power working... I can do without the broken channel which was the initial problem. I had a glass or two of wine on me while I was having the mix and decided to open it up and I'm really regretting it now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jay
chickenfizz View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chickenfizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2012 at 11:34am
Yes, you have indeed shorted something, probably 2 different somethings. Good news is that almost certainly it's just 1 or more of the surface-mount "littelfuses".

The fuses are located on the DSP board near the connector which runs from the power supply. They are tiny, flat, green surface-mount devices and are labelled with single letters, they should all measure short with a multimeter, if any are open circuit they will need to be replaced. There is a table on page 3 of this pdf which will give you the values required for the replacement. So a component marked 'D' would be a .250A fuse and the part number would be 0466.250.

Available from RS, Digikey and Mouser straight from the search.

If you've not worked on surface-mount electronics before then don't experiment with your thousand pound mixer!! Send it off.

Oh and you'll likely need a new fader for that channel (though I didn't realise the left and right control signals were passed through the fader separately). Beware, prices range from about £1 to £70 for a fader (exact same Alps product).
jaygro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaygro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2012 at 2:03pm
Thanks a mil for the reply. I'll be sending it in to the local to get fixed. Any idea of what sort of price I should expect for the two littelfuses and the power to be fixed? I think I'll leave the fader for now. Just eager to have the power back on for the moment.

Thanks again,
Jay
jaygro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaygro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2012 at 10:07pm
Also, just wondering if I need to replace the AC inlet assy as I saw a few sparks coming from there. 

Edited by jaygro - 11 January 2012 at 10:08pm
Capitan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Capitan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2012 at 11:28pm
No disrespect intended here, but firstly you opened up the fader plate and blew something, then you opened up the mixer and blew something and now you are going to try again?

If I were you I'd cut my losses and send it in for repair before you do some serious ( and costly) damage.

Just my thoughts

Edited by Capitan - 11 January 2012 at 11:29pm
jaygro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaygro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2012 at 11:41pm
No no, I'm sending it to my local light and sound shop who do repairs. Just wondering what sort of price I should expect for them to fix the littelfuses and the AC inlet assy. I don't intend on making any more silly mistakes :)
Richard Hart View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Hart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2012 at 7:55am
Just check while you've got it open that the capacitor on the mains input of the power supply hasn't worked lose - it's big, heavy and just soldered onto the board and quite often goes dry and causes power issues.
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2012 at 6:48pm
Perhaps best ask the people who will do it for you what they'll charge surely.
Kevin

North Staffordshire

jaygro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaygro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2012 at 10:20pm
Thanks for that......

I wanted a ballpark figure before hand so I have an idea of what to expect and to make sure I'm not getting ripped off.
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2012 at 11:32pm
But surely we are all just guessing what might be wrong with it. A repair involves inspection, diagnosis and rectification. Your little sparky flashy accident may have been a fuse blowing. Or it may have been the death throes of every last chip in the thing going bang. My best guess is between £20 and £500
Kevin

North Staffordshire

jaygro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaygro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2012 at 11:38pm
That's true. I just wanted a ballpark figure for two littelfuses and an AC inlet assy replaced and fixed. Anyway, it's booked in for tomorrow. Cheers for the replies.
jaygro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaygro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2012 at 2:55pm
Left it in today and told him what happened. He said he was doing something similar with one of the faders before on an 800 and it blew the power board and he had to replace it so apparently it's more than likely that?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>