Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DJM 800 power gone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2012 at 2:30am
Quote he was doing something similar with one of the faders before on an 800 and it blew the power board and he had to replace it

Kevin

North Staffordshire

jaygro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaygro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2012 at 10:07am
???
Capitan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Capitan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2012 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by jaygro jaygro wrote:

???

I think kedwards was alluding to the fact that the person you are taking your stuff to be repaired to is a clown.

He was working on someone's DJM800 and blew the power board?

I wouldn't be entrusting my gear to someone like that!
jaygro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaygro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2012 at 8:02pm
That's why I came on here before sending it anywhere.... I'm none the wiser. The place I left it into is the main Sound and Lighting place in and around the Dublin area. I've dealt with the guy before, he's at it 20 years or so... but I did kind of think I was about to get ripped to be honest. Even though I kinda know the guy. He's probably never actually blown the board before, I got the impression he was warming me up to expect that. It's probably the easy way out for them or something. Make more money too possibly. 
AvLee View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AvLee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2012 at 12:04am
Firstly,

A proffessional repair engineer, shouldn't be replacing "whole" boards!

and secondly,

Like someone has already said, if messing with the fader connectios while the mixer is switched on, it will usually only blow the surface mounted PCB fuse, not the whole "main power board"
jaygro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaygro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2012 at 12:35am
Thanks for the comments. Really appreciate it. I mailed them to tell them not to go ahead with anything without letting me know and that I'm pretty sure it's the fuses. Thanks again.
Capitan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Capitan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2012 at 3:54pm
Gavin, a mod on the Pioneer DJ Forum recommends this company in Dublin:

Lawless Bros. Service
Unit 7, Kinsealy Business Pk
Dublin
T: +353 1 828 3440 / 845 6986
John Lawless

Perhaps you should take it there.

Edited by Capitan - 16 January 2012 at 3:54pm
jaygro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaygro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2012 at 6:37pm
Thanks a mil Captain. I mailed them yesterday to remind them I wanted to be notified before anything was done. I was told there's a 75euro charge for them to open up the mixer and see what the problem is and if I go ahead with it the 75 will come off the overall price, but if I decide not to do anything I've to pay 75euro. Not sure if this is standard practice but it seemed pretty steep. I'm going out to collect it tomorrow, think I'll try the Lawless Bros. place. Thanks again. 
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2012 at 7:29pm
does sound very steep to me..
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2012 at 9:32pm
I dont think my last DJM repair came to that in total!
Kevin

North Staffordshire

jaygro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaygro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2012 at 2:18pm
Here's the message they sent me the other day: 

"Hi Jay, 

In order to give a proper estimate we have to spend about an hour looking into the unit to check the extent of any damage. This costs 75euro if you then decide not to proceed! 
It is of course then deducted from the total cost of the repair! It's not an added amount. 

Let me know what way you want to proceed"

So I went down to them yesterday to get the mixer back as nothing was mentioned about this 75 quid before. I initially asked them if they did surface mount soldering there and they just told me to bring it in and they could tell me then. When I got there yesterday he told me it had been taken by a pioneer rep the day before (even though I hadn't told him to proceed). He told me that they only give it to them when they need a board replaced.... yet he hadn't even opened the mixer up to see yet... and he charges 75euro to "spend about an hour looking into the unit to check the extent of any damage." 

So I asked him where the rep had taken it so I could go get it. He told me he's not allowed tell me that as the company don't deal with the public, only shops like his. He phoned them while I was there to tell them I didn't want to go ahead with it and to not do anything to it. 

I'm worried now he's going to try charge me something when it was clear from my first email that I just wanted to know if they replaced things like "Littelfuses" as I didn't want to solder etc. Very eager just to get it back now the way I sent it in. 

Edited by jaygro - 19 January 2012 at 2:19pm
oldskool View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2012 at 3:30pm
Jay.

Forgive me if I am barking up the wrong tree but what is all this ****ocks about giving it to a rep?
It really does sound as if this guy is taking the **ss. Not only that but our servicing friends who have already commented in this string would be very unlikely to want anything like 75 euros for the first hours inspection either. It sounds almost time to send the boys round if you see what I mean.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>