Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do Stair Climber trolleys work with speakers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PolymorphicMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do Stair Climber trolleys work with speakers
    Posted: 03 January 2017 at 11:44pm

Was thinking of purchasing a 6 wheel stair climber trolleys for getting speakers up stairs. Do they work with speakers? What has people experience been with them? Any recommendations on makes please?

Mark
Free to do what i WANT
GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2017 at 2:02am
Depends on the stairs. I've borrowed one a few times before,and found You need the right step height and depth of tread for the wheels to make contact in the right places, otherwise they don't work and it actually makes the job more difficult. As for working with speakers yes. No different from moving a kitchen appliance, or anything else that you would normally move with a sack truck. Personally I wouldn't bother with a stair climber, just get a normal sack truck and a couple of crew to carry speakers up stairs.

Edited by GAZ. - 04 January 2017 at 2:04am
100% Earth Moving Bass
GorillaAudio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GorillaAudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2017 at 1:39pm
In my personal experience, No. more compact, lighter subs, buildings with lifts or stronger crew are the best way to go about this problem really, as annoying as it is. 
George C - www.gorilla-audio.co.uk
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2017 at 2:13pm
My friend has a motorised one that he used for years with TRS subs and tops, it takes ages but does work. Manual ones rely too much on brute force and you'd be quicker and safer just carrying the bloody things. Charge properly for crew and you might have more people willing to lift heavy stuff…
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2017 at 3:20pm
I think this also depends on how heavy the cabs are. We hired one as a test to try make moving 120kg double punishers up stairs a little less painful. Did not work, the difference was the 3 of us were pulling a heavy stair trolley + a 120kg punisher up 1 stair at a time rather than just flipping the punishers end over end up the stairs. 
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2017 at 4:53pm
i rarely find a sack barrow much use for speakers at all. nearly always have to tip it back so far to get the center of gravity where it needs to be that it's not practical. a wheelboard is endlessly useful. and for stairs.. they've just got to be carried. some stairs i can kind of flip speakers up them, sometimes can kind of slide them down. people carrying them is way better though.
discosucks View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discosucks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2017 at 6:09pm
** shivers at the memories of dragging my old system up a regular gigs stair case** 
Father-Francis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Father-Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2017 at 8:17pm
http://www.a14stairclimbers.co.uk/

Here you go it'l do 330kg 
Music is the strongest form of magic.(+45 31879997)blakmanpro@gmail.com, foa@sweetboxaudio.dk
APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2017 at 9:04pm
I once was involved in a job where a 40u pre-wired rack which must have weighed 150kg at least, had to be taken up to the sixth floor of a building.

There was no lift.

We used an electric stair climber (no idea what make).

Was a horrible job that took three of us about two hours,(the staircase was quite wide but had a couple of turns between each floor), and I was very surprised that the battery lasted.

JEB88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEB88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2017 at 9:55pm
midas View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2017 at 8:40am
Have you seen the price...lol.

That is £2250.00 for an electric motor a cam and battery.
In bass no one can hear you scream!
colinmono View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinmono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2017 at 9:51am
Have tried the 3 wheel variety, same experience as everyone else, waste of time, easier to carry. The one we had was steel and added a lot of weight, and the climbing action was so jerky and the handle so low it just made the whole operation downright dangerous.

I like the look of the "Forearm forklift" product JEB88 posted above though. Might be worth trying.

I'm also thinking of getting an aluminium sack truck with glides on the back (something like this) as I think it would make sliding things down stairs a workable option. Never tried that either though. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>