Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Does RTA microphone = Calibrated microphone ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Radius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does RTA microphone = Calibrated microphone ?
    Posted: 23 February 2019 at 11:19am
Just trying to figure if I can get away with using a calibrated mic for the Driverack PA2, or if I need to get the pricy mic they want to flow as an accessory....
pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2019 at 12:17pm
If you're just using single microphone for your system tuning and you aren't measuring any SPL stuff, you don't need microphone to calibrated. Most differences between different microphone models are in extreme highest octave and extreme lowest octave and to be honest that's kind of stuff that you should adjust with your ears anyway.

Edited by pfly - 23 February 2019 at 12:18pm
Radius View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Radius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2019 at 6:23pm
HI man

I think I will be trying to measure all that good SPL stuff in time. .. Can't get over how darn helpful everyone is..its really nice ! thanks !
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2019 at 2:02am
The deal with calibrated mics is... it's only "calibrated" if the hardware the mic is connected to has that mic's correction file loaded, and yes that file will be specific to that individual mic. So unless the two were matched at the factory and sold as a package a random DBX mic won't be any more accurate than any other quality test mic.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2019 at 8:53am
All you really need from a mic is a guarantee from the manufacturer that it has been tested and found to have a frequency response that is flat to an expected level and bandwidth. If you are just making your first journey into SPL measurements I wouldn't bother for now. I'd just get an ECM800, they hold their value fairly well if you keep it neat in case and want to upgrade in the future. You'll likely find that how you measure your cabs and where you do it has a bigger effect anyway.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2019 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

The deal with calibrated mics is... it's only "calibrated" if the hardware the mic is connected to has that mic's correction file loaded, and yes that file will be specific to that individual mic. So unless the two were matched at the factory and sold as a package a random DBX mic won't be any more accurate than any other quality test mic.

Yup - or worse.

A few years back, I was helping out designing and testing some monitors. We were using SMAART with a couple of very expensive measurement mics. Then one day - as a joke, one of the techs brings in a 2€ PC mic and runs some tests.

Guess what? The 2€ jobbie gave results almost as good as the pro mics. There obvioulsy were differences, but for basic testing, I wouldn´t bother with anything expensive. A waste of money. 
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2019 at 1:45am
There would be at least two different things that calibrating a mic could refer to.

First one would be to have calibration file for that individual microphone to compensate its frequency response variations.

Second one would be SPL calibration that would include microphone and mic preamp to make sensible SPL measurements. This is done with microphone calibrator. Calibrator has a hole where you put microphone, calibrator makes reference noise, typically 1kHz sine at 94dB. You then tell your SPL measurement software / device that right now with that particular signal chain it is hearing 94dB signal.

Microphone behaviour varies by age. If you need to use several microphones to tune large systems efficiently, it makes sense to have more expensive microphones and ideally have them matched to begin with. As far as I know more serious stuff tends to not vary sooo much as they age.
Chris Grimshaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Grimshaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2019 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

Guess what? The 2€ jobbie gave results almost as good as the pro mics. There obvioulsy were differences, but for basic testing, I wouldn´t bother with anything expensive. A waste of money. 

There'll be differences when you crank it - the good measurement mics are fine above 140dB. My Beyerdynamic MM1 is well into distortion at that point, so I have to take it far away from the speakers to keep the mic happy

Chris
Quality sound from Sheffield
www.grimshawaudio.com
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2019 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by Chris Grimshaw Chris Grimshaw wrote:

Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

There'll be differences when you crank it - the good measurement mics are fine above 140dB. My Beyerdynamic MM1 is well into distortion at that point, so I have to take it far away from the speakers to keep the mic happy

Chris

I´d also want to be far away if you´re kicking out over 140dB!   LOL

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2019 at 7:13pm
Does that graph mean I can take legal action against crying babies?
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2019 at 10:45pm
And London Underground!
blah blah blah blah blah......
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2019 at 9:53am
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Does that graph mean I can take legal action against crying babies?

I would be surprised if someone's neighbour had not at somepoint in the past... Those little bastards can wear you down, even when they're yours.
 Post Reply Post Reply