Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Driver recommendation for hog scoops (4 ohm??)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillike_natnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Driver recommendation for hog scoops (4 ohm??)
    Posted: 09 December 2020 at 3:50pm
Hi all,

Making a new soundsystem with the following setup;
- 2x Soundgear Orbit 4
- 2x ES18 BPH (PD186 loaded)
- 2x Hog scoop

Our plan was to power 2xES18's with one channel of our MC2 E45 Amp and with the other channel 2x hog scoops. Now this amp appears to be suited for 2ohms, would it make sense to go for 2x 4ohm drivers for the hogs (parallel  connected)? Seems like this would give a huge advantage output-power-wise, but got some mixed feelings as I don't see many systems using this.

This driver for example, has a 4 and 8 ohm version both with almost identical specs. Why should we choose 8ohm or 4 ohm?

There's so many options on the forum, we're a bit overwhelmed. Some advice would be really appreciated!

Oh btw, we're not looking for the cheapest options, I'd say our budget is around 500€ each driver.

Cheers

Edited by Lillike_natnek - 10 December 2020 at 10:00am
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2020 at 7:11pm
Even the E90 has been seen thermalling, cutting out, running sub at 4 ohm.

Would suggest you get cheap 5K transformer amp, for running 4x Scoops, load them with used, 8 ohm PD1850s, and go from there.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Lillike_natnek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillike_natnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2020 at 8:22am
Thanks for your reply, but I'm not sure I understand the issue. Could you explain it a little more? As I understand heat would be the main problem when running one channel of the E45 at 2 ohm, right? Then why does the spec sheet say it is suitable for 2 ohm?
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2020 at 10:30am
this amp will run like this, but it can't be a long term plan. start aiming to get a dedicated sub amp as soon as you can. when you can get another amp for subs the 45 will do a great job on your es18s.
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2020 at 10:37am
Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

this amp will run like this, but it can't be a long term plan. start aiming to get a dedicated sub amp as soon as you can. when you can get another amp for subs the 45 will do a great job on your es18s.

Yes mate.

But if he is thinking initially 1x amp for sub and kicks, makes me wonder if money best spent elsewhere.

If funds are low, I suggest buying Void Infinite 8 mk2, and 8 ohm drivers in  the pair of Scoops and ES18s.

You will not be sorry, and be happier than with your initial idea.

The Void is proven to  power 2x 8 ohm cabs, per channel, effortlessly.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillike_natnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2020 at 10:47am
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

[QUOTE=cravings]
If funds are low, I suggest buying Void Infinite 8 mk2, and 8 ohm drivers in  the pair of Scoops and ES18s.

You will not be sorry, and be happier than with your initial idea.

The Void is proven to  power 2x 8 ohm cabs, per channel, effortlessly.

The amp you suggest practically has the same output power as the E45, why would that one be better? We've already got the E45 as we could get a nice deal couple of months ago. 

The main question we have now is what two drivers we should get that get powered from the E45 and will be placed in the hog scoop :). I think pd1850's are the most widely used for hogs but my mate says they don't really sound very 'musical', just very aggressive. It's quite hard to make a decision based off of forum posts as so many people are saying different things... 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillike_natnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2020 at 10:49am
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

Even the E90 has been seen thermalling, cutting out, running sub at 4 ohm.

Would suggest you get cheap 5K transformer amp, for running 4x Scoops, load them with used, 8 ohm PD1850s, and go from there.

At the moment our budget does not yet allow us to build 2 more scoops, I think that's something more for the long term. For now we'll stick to 2 hogs for a while. Could you explain what the 5k transformer amp does and why we would need it for our set up?

Edited by Lillike_natnek - 10 December 2020 at 10:49am
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2020 at 2:56pm
A "transformer amp" is one which uses a (big heavy) transformer as part of its power supply, as apposed to lots of circuitry in a "switch mode power supply" amp.

Generally speaking transformer amps are older tech, so are cheaper (now) and easier to repair but bigger and heavier for equivalent output.

Your E45 uses a switch mode power supply (SMPS).

Cheap SMPS amps often do not do Bass very well and are often uneconomic to repair.

There are various pros and cons and opinions regarding the two types of amp but thats the basics
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2020 at 6:55pm
This has literally been done to death , search google hog driver speakerplans...
Personally if i was buying drivers for the hog now i would go with 18ds115 bnc.
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2020 at 7:03pm
I’m afraid i have real input but as i look at your username it seems we have another Brabander at the forum! Cant have enough soundsystems in the deep south! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillike_natnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2020 at 10:33am
Originally posted by Sypa Sypa wrote:

This has literally been done to death , search google hog driver speakerplans...
Personally if i was buying drivers for the hog now i would go with 18ds115 bnc.

Well yeah that's kind of the problem. There's so much talking about that it becomes a bit overwhelming for new kids like us. Also there are also many dated posts recommending outdated drivers. I thought the question was specific enough to start a new topic about it given the amp we want to use and the question regarding the impedance. 

Thanks for your suggestion though, we'd been eyeing that driver for a while as well. I see the nominal power handling is 1700W, I expect running two of those off of one channel of the E45 amp would not be sufficient right?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillike_natnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2020 at 10:35am
Originally posted by Bams Bams wrote:

I’m afraid i have real input but as i look at your username it seems we have another Brabander at the forum! Cant have enough soundsystems in the deep south! 

Haha well guessed! Hopefully after this corona shitshow is over we can serve some nice parties to the south! Are you also owner of a system?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>