Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Driver recommendations please.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Driver recommendations please.
    Posted: 21 June 2018 at 10:58am
I have been given 4 x b36 bins unloaded.

Thought I had got ridden once, but the person who bought all my gear a couple of years ago doesn’t want them so he has given them back.... oh well.

I am thinking 186 as they are not the best of boxes so do not want to spend a fortune.

Willing to listen to those who have used these boxes in the past.

I didn’t load them previously either.
In bass no one can hear you scream!
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 11:29am
The driver loads through the front so you could add a front door with ports. That would make them more usable. The design looks quite close to other ported horns with similar large chamber volume, layout and horn length. The MHB-46 which is quite popular in France is rather close. RCF 18G401 isn't too expensive and works in that. Would also work without the port too.

Apologies for starting the leftfield stuff from the start lol.
Don't test the champignon sound
midas View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 11:38am
lol... It is fine thank you for the reply. 

If it adds to the box it is worth considering. I will have a look for those boxes.
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 11:54am

What is the depth of the Cerwin Vega? If it is 24 inches in depth the cabinet will not play low. If the cabinet is 36 inches in depth, the cabinet will play slightly lower. The PD 186 would be fine on both accounts. If you plan on punching holes in the cabinet to extend the frequency response, scale the internal chamber the driver resides in. This will allow you to achieve the most optimum tuning using the TS Parameters of the PD 186.

Best Regards,  

Elliot Thompson
midas View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 12:25pm
from memory they are 24x24x 36ish.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 12:34pm

With four boxes, you should achieve around 55 Hz (Outdoors) without heavy equalisation despite what Cerwin Vega claims. If you want to experiment with porting, I would build two removable panels as the ones the B 36 cabinets offer, create ports on those panels and, compare two sealed B 36 cabinets to two ported B 36 cabinets. This will prevent you from butchering the box if the sound is not to your liking. 

Best Regards,  

Elliot Thompson
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 12:39pm

Porting the cabinets will get you down to 50 Hz and, still require a HPF around 40 Hz (12 dB per octave) to prevent reproducing frequencies the internal chamber is not large enough to create with great intensity.

Best Regards,  

Elliot Thompson
midas View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 12:56pm
which would mean still using subs. Hmmmm I will probably not bother in that case.

Thank you for your help.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 1:20pm

If you require a high impact punchy box, the B 36 will perform well. If you are looking from 40 Hz and below, you are better off with reflex boxes. 

Best Regards, 

Elliot Thompson
 Post Reply Post Reply