Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DSP, help setting up correctly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2021 at 7:18pm
A DSP can sometimes sum a signal to mono but the one you have chosen doesn't appear to do this. But I don't think this will be a problem as you are running a mono system anyway so both sub channels will always be in sync.

Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2021 at 8:56pm
Ok so having another look this evening at the software. I have not set any gains yet as not had a chance to play anything on the system yet. Waiting for a 1/4" jack to normal aux adapter to arrive before i can play anything.

So in the meantime looking at the compressor tab which im very unsure about. What do i leave alone on here and what do i focus on? Also i assume threshold just gets set at my gain level for each output?

Here is how it is set as standard. I havent touched anything yet on the comp tab.

Also on Ouput 1 (highs) should i bypass the low pass filter? As i assume i dont want to be cutting things off at 20KHz? I have set all the filters on each output to LK-24.

Edited by Jack1991 - 06 April 2021 at 9:12pm
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2021 at 2:16am
I'd suggest you leave the compressor disengaged for the time being, it may be useful as a limiter but that will be the last thing setup after the system is fully dialed in. And yes to no LPF at 20khz, it's redundant if your sources are digital anyway.
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2021 at 2:36pm
Right today had a good look at it and set it all up. I actually got a osciloscope for my birthday last week so used that to set my output gain for my subs. Worked quite well following a youtube video.

The only bad thing and what im confused by is the input light on the DSP would only light up and play anything when my mobile phone volume was set to max. Otherwise the input light would go out and no sound. I assume i need to set the input gain higher to stop this happening? 

If so how do i set it correctly? Would there be a way i could use my oscilloscope to set the input gain too?

(I hadnt thought of the input gain setting until i had packed up and went out for the day)

Edited by Jack1991 - 18 April 2021 at 2:37pm
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2021 at 3:09pm
What is the phone connected to? 
You're not plugging it directly into the DSP are you?
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2021 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

What is the phone connected to? 
You're not plugging it directly into the DSP are you?

Yes mobile phone into aux cable into dsp

So it goes mobile phone, aux to dsp of input 1 going to all 4 outputs. Then the 4 outputs to the 4 channels of the amplifier.

Before i had the DSP i used to just plug my phone into a aux which split into 4 rca's to link to each channel of the amplifier and it worked perfectly.

Edited by Jack1991 - 18 April 2021 at 3:43pm
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2021 at 4:24pm
Ok you can't do that, you are putting an unbalanced stereo signal into a balanced mono input which cancels everything common on the two channels. You need to either mono sum the phone outputs with a dedicated box or split the signal onto two separate L and R connectors.  This type of cable is the simple solution...

Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2021 at 4:49pm

Ok you can't do that, you are putting an unbalanced stereo signal into a balanced mono input which cancels everything common on the two channels. You need to either mono sum the phone outputs with a dedicated box or split the signal onto two separate L and R connectors.  This type of cable is the simple solution...

Cool cheers Conanski, so if i get that cable. And then the 1/4 jacks got into input 1 & input 2. Then i would route input 1 & 2 to all 4 outputs? Is that correct?
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2021 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by Jack1991 Jack1991 wrote:

Before i had the DSP i used to just plug my phone into a aux 
An aux on what? You have another piece of equipment you haven't mentioned?
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2021 at 4:53pm

Originally posted by Jack1991 Jack1991 wrote:

Before i had the DSP i used to just plug my phone into a aux 
An aux on what? You have another piece of equipment you haven't mentioned?

No into a aux and then straight into the amplifier via a aux that split into 4 rca
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2021 at 4:57pm
I don't understand what is this Aux you are referring to? 
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2021 at 5:06pm

I don't understand what is this Aux you are referring to? 

On my way home now. When i get home will post a photo of how i previously had it set up before i had the dsp.

Either way if i buy the cable you suggested would i then plug the 1/4 jacks into the dsps input 1 & input 2 and then route them both to all 4 outputs i assume? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>