Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DSP, help setting up correctly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2021 at 5:12pm
Yes... If the DSP will allow you to do that. Can you assign more than 1 input to an output?
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2021 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

Yes... If the DSP will allow you to do that. Can you assign more than 1 input to an output?
Cool yes i am fairly certain it allows you to route 2 inputs to all 4 outputs. I will check shortly just got home.

So here is how i previously had it set up before i had the dsp. I just connected my phone via the aux, then each rca went to 1 channel each of the amplfier. It worked perfectly fine like that.

Here is how i now have it connected to the DSP. This is where it did not work unless my phone was at max volume. The input light on the dsp did also not light up unless my phone was at max volume. So it goes Mobile phone into the aux which goes to the 1/4 jack input 1 of the dsp, which is routed to all 4 outputs of the dsp. The 4 outputs are also 1/4 jack which then each go to their own channel of the amplifier which are RCA inputs. 4 channel amplifier.

Edited by Jack1991 - 18 April 2021 at 7:28pm
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2021 at 8:28pm
This splitter cable, are those RCA connectors uder the shrink wrap or 1/4 jacks?? If they are RCA then you could disconnect the section on the left, add a couple RCA to 1/4 adapters and use that to attach the phone. 

Originally posted by Jack1991 Jack1991 wrote:

Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2021 at 8:53pm
Yes they are also RCA under the shrink wrap. Cool yeh i will do that. So its literally just that and then it will work fine? 

Also I assume i would leave the input gain as it is set standard at 0db. And just adjust the output gains of each channel?

Thanks again 

Edited by Jack1991 - 18 April 2021 at 9:04pm
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2021 at 9:28pm
Yes should do it, your phone will still need to be cranked up pretty high but this should work better than it did before.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2021 at 11:52pm
In that last photo, you have a 1/8” TRS jack on the red cable, going to what I presume is a right angled 1/4” TRS jack?

If so, you’re taking a stereo output from your phone and feeding it into a balanced mono input.

A balanced jack connection expects a polarity inverted signal on the ring, which is used to remove noise from the signal. You’re sending the right channel there instead...

Your DSP has two inputs, I presume? You need 1x 1/8” TRS to 2x 1/4” TS jack connectors, and one of those jacks will go into each DSP input. The connection will be unbalanced, so keep the cable length reasonably short.

Essentially this.
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2021 at 8:37am
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

In that last photo, you have a 1/8” TRS jack on the red cable, going to what I presume is a right angled 1/4” TRS jack?

If so, you’re taking a stereo output from your phone and feeding it into a balanced mono input.

A balanced jack connection expects a polarity inverted signal on the ring, which is used to remove noise from the signal. You’re sending the right channel there instead...

Your DSP has two inputs, I presume? You need 1x 1/8” TRS to 2x 1/4” TS jack connectors, and one of those jacks will go into each DSP input. The connection will be unbalanced, so keep the cable length reasonably short.

Essentially this.

Yes 1/8 going into a angled 1/4 jack. I only got a angled one so it fits inside my box easier. But cool yeh cheers i didnt know about that till yourself and Conanski mentioned it. Thanks for that i will get myself one of those cables and try that.

Also yes the dsp has 4 inputs and 4 outputs. All are 1/4 jack. I can route the 2 inputs then to all 4 outputs

Edited by Jack1991 - 19 April 2021 at 8:38am
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2021 at 9:32am
So just out of interest to try and understand it better. Would a Stereo 1/4 jack adapter with the 2 rings like this also work aswell? 
(instead of the Y splitter cable obviously)

So it would go 1/8 jack from my mobile phone to the Stereo 1/4 jack adapter into the dsp input 1.

Edited by Jack1991 - 19 April 2021 at 9:35am
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2021 at 11:05am
Originally posted by Jack1991 Jack1991 wrote:

So just out of interest to try and understand it better. Would a Stereo 1/4 jack adapter with the 2 rings like this also work aswell? 
(instead of the Y splitter cable obviously)

So it would go 1/8 jack from my mobile phone to the Stereo 1/4 jack adapter into the dsp input 1.

Nope. You’d have a similar issue, although it wouldn’t be shorted physically like you have now with a 1/4” TS jack. The inputs on the DSP are for a single channel. Using a TRS connector on those inputs would only work for a balanced connection, which your phone doesn’t have.

You need to split the connection to get stereo into the DSP. Don’t forget you’ll need to adjust your settings to suit, otherwise you’ll only be outputting the left channel to the amp.

One thing I think a lot of people miss with this stuff is that it becomes a lot easier to understand if you get a pen out and drawing a block diagram of the signal flow. Don’t worry, it often seems to be forgotten a lot even at the ‘professional’ level for gigs or installations where things are way more complicated. That’s the sort of thing that bites you in the arse when the client wants to change something and you can’t remember exactly what clever idea you had back on install day, or worse, some other contractor has messed with it...

Anyway.

The manual for the DSP probably has one for the stuff it does internally that could be a start point, but if you want to keep things simple just draw it as a box with the correct number of ins and outs. Make it large enough that you can join the input(s) to the output(s) accordingly inside the box. Use a pencil perhaps, because you’ll probably want to change it or spot a mistake.

See how you get on. It also seems like you’re coming at this stuff fresh so I’d suggest the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook. Either buying a physical copy or tracking down a PDF if that’s your thing. It’s ancient but the principles in it are still valid and the flow of the book seems to work well for a lot of people.
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2021 at 11:48am
Cool ok cheers yeh that makes sense then.

So yeh with the settings on the dsp its just a 'matrix' tab on the software that you can choose where to send each input to each output.

Heres a photo straight off the website for the dsp of the matrix tab of the dsp software. The green lit up bits arent how i have it set this is just a screenshot off the website so you can get the jist of what i mean. But i assume i would just send input 1 & input 2, both to all 4 outputs? 

Edited by Jack1991 - 19 April 2021 at 11:50am
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2021 at 8:08pm
Ok so Conanski i have tried your suggestion and unfortunately it has not worked and the outcome was exactly the same as before, with the input lights only lighting up when having my phone on max volume.

Mobile phone plugged into the cable pictured here:

I already had this cable so tried this way first. Would this cable be the same as using the cable toastyghost suggested? Or is the RCA cable the problem?

Edited by Jack1991 - 19 April 2021 at 9:09pm
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2021 at 9:11pm
What signal level are you seeing on the DSP inputs?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>