Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DSP, help setting up correctly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2021 at 9:34pm
The signal input levels were hitting the first yellow light though once vplume was at max. But when lowered volume the lights went out.
All packed away for the evening now so cant double check, but will fully check again tommorow once home from work and get some photos to help me explain it.

Edited by Jack1991 - 19 April 2021 at 9:36pm
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2021 at 9:48pm
First yellow is plenty of signal, the inputs on the DSP is expecting a hot signal from a mixer or a preamp of some type so the phone will have to be cranked all the way up. If audio cuts out completely when the level is dropped slightly make sure the gate is turned off. 
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2021 at 10:00pm
Cool nice one thanks Conanski, i will check all these things properly tommorow and report back.
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2021 at 5:04pm
Ok so i set everything up today and its playing perfectly fine. I made a newbie mistake the other day, which i now learnt, so apologies for that.

But.. i do have a new problem now. Wether music is playing or not and wether the input and/or output channels are muted or not. I am getting a humming sound from the speakers. Which gets louder/quieter when i increase/decrease the gain 

My dsp is running off the ac mains with the plug it came with in the box. My amplifier has its own seperate 12v dc battery that it runs off.

This didnt happen before i had the dsp by the way.

Edited by Jack1991 - 20 April 2021 at 5:22pm
infrasound View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2021 at 5:48pm
Sounds like a ground loop problem of sorts.

The 'proper' solution would be to assess your signal and power wiring to eliminate the problem

The 'quick' solution would be to try a "ground loop isolator" on your input
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2021 at 6:18pm
Cool cheers infrasound. Yeh i thought it may be having the dsp plugged into the wall (ac) and then the car amplifier off the 12v (dc) battery. I have just got a cable made up to run the dsp off the same 12v dc leisure battery as the amplifier but i want to test it out tommorow at work before connecting it to the dsp. Ill try again then when home from work and see if the hum has gone. 

If not ill try the ground loop isolator. Or maybe i could try running the dsp off its own seperate 12v dc battery and see if that works maybe. As i have checked through the whole setup and everything seems in check.

Edited by Jack1991 - 20 April 2021 at 6:20pm
infrasound View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2021 at 6:19pm
Ah, I completely missed the running from AC.

Yes, that seems a likely culprit then (especially if it's a nice 50Hz hum..) 
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2021 at 6:39pm
Ahh sound thats alrite mate. Hopefully its a simple solution like that then. All these little things are learning curves for me so although its annoying its also kind of fun to learn reasons why and to cancel out things like this.

I will get that cable sorted and try running it all off the same same 12v dc leisure battery. Hopefully tommorow if i get chance at work.
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2021 at 7:30pm
Got that cable sorted and it all seems to be running lovely now all off the same 110ah 12v battery.

Might need some help in the future with more settings but for now I think im all sorted. 

Cheers people 🙂👍🏼

nilspixel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nilspixel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2021 at 11:37am
Originally posted by Jack1991 Jack1991 wrote:

Got that cable sorted and it all seems to be running lovely now all off the same 110ah 12v battery.

Might need some help in the future with more settings but for now I think im all sorted. 

Cheers people 🙂👍🏼

what's that cable you're using to connect your dsp to the battery? thanks :)
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2021 at 11:42am
I made a cable up using this one purchased off ebay. And then i fitted a inline fuse on the positive too. 

nilspixel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nilspixel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2021 at 12:17pm
great :) and the next question would be....:

how do you manage to seperate the mids and tops with your inputs/outputs on your amp?

Made a drawing:

cheers
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>