Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dual 12" sub enclosure.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dual 12" sub enclosure.
    Posted: 13 September 2019 at 10:43pm
Good evening People.

I am a little bit tired of haulin' around some rather old single 18" BR enclosures with Beyma 18lx60 in them. Sounds really great, and can really lay out a good SPL level. 
But they are heavy and size is something like a RCF ESW1018!
And for one-man gigs, not that fun to deal with...

So i am in the market for some 12" subs. Four singles or two dual.
I am thinking something in the 35-120hz range, and 123-125dB cont. Max spl.
For a single enclosure. 
And I want to go with BR again. Easy and proven allround design. 

So the $$$ question is, what drivers are capable of this? Faital, BMS, PD, B&C, 18sound, Beyma are on the easy-to-get list :)

Having bit of trouble narrowing it down atm :D
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2019 at 11:16pm
Considering the maximum measured continuous SPL of an L’Acoustics KS28 is 124dB - with 10% distortion - you might be a little off with your numbers if you want to live in the real world.

However, if you can live without 35Hz extension (you realistically very much can if you’re aiming for smaller boxes) then the THAM12 or other tapped horns will probably do the job for you in a smaller and lighter cabinet than you have now.
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2019 at 7:22am
Well, 35hz might be wishfull thinking in the late hours. But I was thinking of something like Ohm BRS-12 would be usefull as a starting point.
Very compact and light. 39-110hz and 123db cont.
I know we need to take these specs with a pinch of salt, and you have a point on size and LF response. So 40hz might be more realistic :)

Regarding tapped horns, i have resently been involved in a A/B shootout between Tham12, MTH30 and Cubo 12, fine little things. But to be honest, i do like the sound of BR enclosures better. Some moons ago, i had the pleasure of attending a wedding with a DJ deploying a set of EAW SBX 220 topped of by a EAW top of some sort. Really good sound and plenty of umpf! :) 

So something like that (in singles) or ohm BRS12 would suit my needs well. 
I could buy used, but sbx220 dont come cheap and rarely pop up for sale. And the Ohm's even harder to get in used condition. 

And regarding the lighter part. Almost everything is lighter than my current subs. They tip the scales at 71kg!!!!! 

Edited by FOO - 14 September 2019 at 7:25am
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2019 at 8:59am

If you are willing to use a fifteen inch driver, the Beyma 15 LX 60 will give you 35 Hertz. As you already use the Beyma 18 LX 60, you will achieve no more than a 1 dB loss moving from the 18 LX 60 to the 15 LX 60. With a 12 inch driver, you will have a noticeable loss in terms of SPL compared to an 18 inch driver.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
osse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2019 at 10:36am
Maybe look at the fearful 1212sub? I simmed it to 126 or 128 db in hornresp, about 40-250 Hz, tried and proven design by many bass guitar players, I have a 1212/6 which includes a 6" to about 3k for bass guitar duty and it's awesome

The 1212sub should be crazy light and portable with it's 1/2" ply and rigid bracing.

Edited by osse - 14 September 2019 at 10:37am
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2019 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by osse osse wrote:

Maybe look at the fearful 1212sub? I simmed it to 126 or 128 db in hornresp, about 40-250 Hz, tried and proven design by many bass guitar players, I have a 1212/6 which includes a 6" to about 3k for bass guitar duty and it's awesome

The 1212sub should be crazy light and portable with it's 1/2" ply and rigid bracing.

From what I can see the Fearful 1212 uses two Eminence Kappalite 3012LF drivers.
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2019 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

If you are willing to use a fifteen inch driver, the Beyma 15 LX 60 will give you 35 Hertz. As you already use the Beyma 18 LX 60, you will achieve no more than a 1 dB loss moving from the 18 LX 60 to the 15 LX 60. With a 12 inch driver, you will have a noticeable loss in terms of SPL compared to an 18 inch driver.

Best Regards,

I would really love to be able to keep it to 12". The speed and attack of them just sounds lovely :)

And if i choose to do four singles, the flexibility in that are noticable. 
SPL of four 12" should be a near match to two 18" :) but i could be wrong. 
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2019 at 9:24pm

Just make sure when you find the right twelve inch driver, you don't make the enclosure so small that the loudspeaker resembles a pair of shoes sitting in a shoe box. If you want bass, you need an enclosure with enough internal space to make it possible.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2019 at 4:18pm

From memory, I believe a Beyma 12LX60v2 in a 100ltr box tuned to about 40Hz should give you a -3dB point of about 36-37Hz and a maximum continuous SPL in the region of 123-124dB.

The Ohm box listed above specs 39Hz @ -10dB as its lower usable frequency.

Edited by APW - 15 September 2019 at 4:24pm
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2019 at 7:07pm
12 lx60v2 is an excellent driver for this, have a lot of nearly new ones for sale at the mo.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2019 at 1:19pm

The Beyma LX Series has always been a good candidate for a reflex enclosure. The reason you never hear Beyma mentioned here, is due to the majority of Speakerplans contributors need woofers that will be ideal for horn-loaded enclosures. There is just a small percentage of solely reflex users on Speakerplans.  

Although, you may want to dabble with other brands, you should look at Beyma's options first as you already have an idea what to expect using the Beyma 18 LX 60.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 16 September 2019 at 1:27pm
Elliot Thompson
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2019 at 7:08pm
Well, the project has been sidelined for a bit, but last night i bought four BMS 12N804, used. Just because they were really cheap!!!
So i am thinking about if i should try them out as bass duty drivers.
Two drivers in one enclosure. Maybe a scaled down Gsub design.

Havent simmed anything yet, So i actually dont know if they are good for sub/bass duty or would be better as mids.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>