Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dual 15 + coax

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlyxover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2021 at 9:44pm
looking very tidy, keep up the good work.

In the Truth there is no news, and in the News there is no truth
kipman725 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kipman725 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2021 at 3:53pm
There looks to be some scope for reducing the depth of the box if you have enough internal volume for the bass drivers?
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2021 at 8:49pm
This was supposed to be a quick project, but then I had a really busy summer and no spare time.... back on it now though.

I put the drivers in for a test

A quick outdoor measurement

A quite worrying dip around 500Hz. I tried moving the mic around, disconnecting one driver, adding and taking bits of box, and then realised the obvious point that a half wavelength of 500Hz is pretty much the diameter of a 15" driver, which I was listening to from the edge.

I modified the baffles and moved some bits in the box

Another measurement

That's reduced the problem. I need to do more measurements when the weather is good enough, but I think it looks promising.

I did a measurement of the mid section

I'm thinking a 24dB/octave high pass with the -6dB around 600Hz should be okay.
Blahblahblah
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2021 at 9:25pm
Slightly off topic, but I came across this the other day - Bennett Prescott sales manager of B&C with a new 2x15 + horn design. Bit (?!) big for pole mounting but sounds very good via utoob - amazing that that it doesn't have any noticeable horn sound on vocals possibly like the Celestion aperiodic driver that removes any crossover artifacts in most of the vocal range.

For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2021 at 9:36pm
It’s probably more to do with using a bloody massive horn that was explicitly designed around the (very good) driver attached to the end of it, by proper engineers using top-tier tools such as FEA-based optimisation
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2021 at 11:17pm
Still, nicely done and not too dissimilar to the JTR 215RT speakers with the co-axial HF driver.
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
Keen View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2021 at 12:40am
great to see they made that horn, thanks for sharing
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2021 at 7:46pm
More progress. I now have 2 boxes. Both have had 2 coats of paint sprayed on and are awaiting a gentle sand and 2 thick coats of paint. I did a test with pole mounting an empty box

The pole is a K&M adjustable with an M20 screw on the base and the expanding ring lock on the top. There is a bit of sway at full extension, but that is to be expected. A single punisher as a base gets the top box just high enough, I will always be using at least 2 though.

I didn't like the idea of a surface mounted pole socket, so I knocked this up out of 3mm steel

It has an M20 nut welded inside, and fixes with 6 bolts into the horn/driver chamber and 2 through to the exterior with a plate on the outside to spread the load.

I had hoped to have the boxes finished ready to use for a couple of gigs next weekend. Unfortunately I can't get another DCX464 driver in time, there doesn't appear to be any stock in the UK.
Blahblahblah
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2022 at 1:21pm
Hello Doober,
Did you finish these boxes by now? I'm very curious to the results of this design Big smile
Best regards,
Teun.
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2022 at 8:59pm

They are finished. I've been using them since December for live music, 2-400 capacity events indoors and outdoors.

I like them. The midrange is very clear, the boxes are light enough to get up above head height on a pole.

The coax drivers are very efficient, and could easily keep up with way more than the 15s I am using. I do like headroom in the mid and high though.

The 2 boxes work well with 4-8 punishers, crossing over around 90Hz. If I used some upper bass boxes between them and took the crossover up to around 180Hz I could get a lot more out of the 15s.

Blahblahblah
cobrasneverdie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobrasneverdie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2022 at 1:32am
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

I’d also suggest considering the B&C coaxial compression driver over the BMS if you want to cross that low.

Is there a reason for choosing b&c over bms for crossing that low?  My bms 4592nd loads incredibly well all the way down to the horn cutoff on a massive 225hz multicell.
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2022 at 10:54am
Why did you chose that specific 15 inch driver? To me its a shame using top of the line compression driver with a budget 15.

Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>