Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dual 8" (One Coax) DJ Monitor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 12:39pm
Did a cheeky render of these tonight above twelve BMS 12N630 singles. Almost tempted to sell the current system and start over with these LOL

https://a360.co/2rG3PPL

Edited by vertx - 14 May 2018 at 12:46pm
www.instagram.com/translate.sound
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 1:06pm
How's it supposed to keep up with 6x12" on bass?
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 1:12pm
What he said ^^^
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
vertx View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 1:25pm
Yes, I realise there'd be at least 20db more 30-80hz Cool

That's how people like it played though right?

Maybe if we ran the tops 3-way straight from the flux capacitor and cooled them with that photo of Rog in front of those mega scoops we'd get a little closer SPL wise...

All jokes aside its just a quick mock up I did as I've got lots of free time on my hands these days LOL
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 2:06pm
Quote That's how people like it played though right?
Outdoors with bass heavy music you could just about get away with it, but you would still find yourself running into headroom issues all the time. The average levels might be 20dB or even more between bass and tops, but 80Hz and up will still have some very loud parts sometimes and the top just won't be able to play them.

Indoors and you'll have an extra efficiency boost on the ground stacked bass to deal with on top of that.

4x12 bass bins and a dual coax design like this (playing the same frequency band rather than split) would make an interesting system for outdoor use, although you'd have comb filtering on the Coax unless you angled the baffles like a V.

Edited by Hemisphere - 14 May 2018 at 2:15pm
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 9:14pm
just out of interest, have you simmed the Beyma 8BR40N on the low end?
You can't polish a turd!
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 11:17pm
So double 8" top... 1st 2 cabs on kick(?) And bottom 4 on sub(?) Removing most of 160ish downwards so not to over drive those cute tops..
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
LunchieTey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LunchieTey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 1:55am
with 12s being 3 feet off the ground you would be amazed how high you could cross to the 8s and still have decent sound if you needed more headroom. 300+ would be doable.

Many years ago when I knew a lot less than I do now I tried a system with a double 12 arranged vertically with ports at the bottom(probably 900mm tall) crossed to a dual sealed back mid driver and small horn on top. Crossover was 500hz yet sounded just fine and made plenty of noise. Filled a pub sized venue no problem (was a private function) and had randoms trying to get in off the street and party. The venue was in the middle of a pub district. Using small cone drivers from 500-5k sounded surprisingly good. Can't remember what horn it was but was similar to an apt80.

No one ever complained about the sound but did receive plenty of requests for my business card AND compliments on how such tiny mid tops were so loud and clear so can't have been too bad! I ended up merging the boxes to have a double 12, double 6 and horn box on top of bandpass 18s. For most smaller jobs I wished it was the old setup.

I don't think it would sound as good with a low profile sub like a single 15 or 18. The extra height from the ground for the upper 12 really helped with low mid clarity.

Edited by LunchieTey - 15 May 2018 at 2:00am
Speaker addict
vertx View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 2:49am
Originally posted by cookie-dj cookie-dj wrote:

Not yet, can sim it, but maybe this ones a bit low sensitivity and power handling? Good xmax though.

• 50 WRMS power handling 
  • Sensitivity: 91 dB (1W / 1m) 
  • 1” copper voice coil 
  • Extended controlled displacement: Xmax ± 6,7 mm

https://www.beyma.com/getpdf.php?pid=8BR40/N

Edited by vertx - 15 May 2018 at 2:50am
vertx View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 2:55am
Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

So double 8" top... 1st 2 cabs on kick(?) And bottom 4 on sub(?) Removing most of 160ish downwards so not to over drive those cute tops..

Yeah that could work, four 12" on 30-80hz, two 12" on 80-160hz, one 8" mid on 160-800hz, one 8" mid high on 800-4500hz and the tweeter on the coax from 4.5khz up?

Or even all six 12"s doing 30-160hz?
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 6:28am
Originally posted by vertx vertx wrote:

Originally posted by cookie-dj cookie-dj wrote:

Not yet, can sim it, but maybe this ones a bit low sensitivity and power handling? Good xmax though.

• 50 WRMS power handling 
  • Sensitivity: 91 dB (1W / 1m) 
  • 1” copper voice coil 
  • Extended controlled displacement: Xmax ± 6,7 mm

https://www.beyma.com/getpdf.php?pid=8BR40/N

I just ask because i was thinking of a build similar to this for a low power handling hifi speaker which could take around 50-100w from a Raspberry Pi 3 amp module. 

But i would need to remove the baffle for the separate chambers to achieve anywhere near 50-60hz and hope a coax driver would be happy to share it!
You can't polish a turd!
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 9:07am
Originally posted by Hemisphere Hemisphere wrote:

Is this intended to be a commercial design or just for fun? Seems very wasteful on wood to do it in slices like that, unless the slices themselves are sliced into 4 segments and it's not clear in this rendering.

Or.... you design an 18, a 15, a 12 and a 10 and have them all nest inside each other!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123