Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dual channel FFT cables needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foca_Dacian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dual channel FFT cables needed
    Posted: 13 August 2018 at 12:08am
I'm relatively new to measurements and I do not understand certain aspects of the connections that I need to perform to make my measurements.

To be more specific: I use REW , a Steinberg UR22 sound card , and an ECM999 mic to do this dual channel FFT measurement and want to measure magnitude and phase plots so that I can EQ and phase align a sound sistem, I have both a 3 way system and a two way sistem, pasive speakers ,amps and DSP.

I understand that I need one output , and two inputs on the soundcard.

The L or R output from the soundcard goes in an input on the mixer connected to the system I'm measuring ( a mono line input I asssume), and then splits from the master out or master left on the mixer, one side of the split returns back to the audio interface , on input 1 or 2 (depending on the selection of the ref channel),the other end of the split goes to the systems DSP controller.

The mixer has female XLR connectors on the master out bus.

Do I need a Y splitter cable? One end with a female XLR and the other end with two male XLR,the female one connected to the left or right master out, one male on the coresponding input on the DSP, and one in the ref input channel?

How do I solder these in the female connector? just put hot conductor on pin one from both cables, ground on pin 1 from the two cables and cold conductor on pin 3 from the two cables?

Let's say I want to measure tops and then subs.Do I just turn off the amps that I do not need to be shown in the measurement?and then overlay the traces and compare phase and magnitude?

Foca_Dacian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foca_Dacian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2018 at 4:01pm
I figured it out.

Note to self: never go from line out to mic in, stuff will distort and feedback will occur.

Post Reply Post Reply