Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

dynacord xover

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: dynacord xover
    Posted: 04 August 2020 at 11:30am
At first glance it seems like a pcb from an active speaker, but its actually passive. Probably the world's most complicated. 19 transistors, 17 capacitors, 21 diodes...Why, please?

Kevin

North Staffordshire

studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2020 at 1:47pm
I see three sections of circuitry and three relays so I would guess....it's a three way driver protection system? But without any components that need replacing after a "protection event". 

Probably making a DC rail from the AC input to power the circuitry, then sensing AC RMS voltage after the passive filters - this involving the small transistors, and then using the larger transistors to operate the relays? I've seen similar circuits that use a MOSFET as the switching element. 

Mind you, I usually *see* them after the MOSFET has blown!
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2020 at 2:07pm
What AC input, this is a passive network is it not?

Either way, i agree, this is complex in the extreme!
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2020 at 2:56pm
well it didn't work, the mid is blown....
Kevin

North Staffordshire

kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2020 at 3:09pm
the old 'hot melt glue inside a cab' gotcha

Kevin

North Staffordshire

BJtheDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2020 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

The AC input would be tapped from the speaker input, aka the output from the amplifier; hopefully no DC at all LOL
If your vaccinations were mandatory and nobody in your class had measles,
then you know that you're not a Millenial kid.
</f
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2020 at 4:46pm

Either way, i agree, this is complex in the extreme!

Passive networks tend to take an AC input :) Think of it as stealing a little extra from the amp into a savings account (or something, I don't know).

Edit: Beaten!

Edited by odc04r - 04 August 2020 at 4:47pm
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2020 at 6:47pm
Audio is an AC signal... newsflash for those that didn't know.

So yeah it is possible to power some small signal electronics from the output of a power amp, all takes is a sustained continuous average of 5-15v, enough to produce voltage rails for the circuit after rectification and filtering... which is no problem at all for most pro power amps. This electronics could be a crossover, EQ filtering, or provide protection.
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2020 at 8:00pm
Im well aware that a loudspeaker signal is AC....naturally i was talking about the lack of an input from a PSU/mains 
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2020 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

Audio is an AC signal... newsflash for those that didn't know.

So yeah it is possible to power some small signal electronics from the output of a power amp, all takes is a sustained continuous average of 5-15v, enough to produce voltage rails for the circuit after rectification and filtering... which is no problem at all for most pro power amps. This electronics could be a crossover, EQ filtering, or provide protection.  Or LEDs!!!  LOL LOL LOL

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2020 at 9:15pm
Looks like some quite clever level sensing and protection. The whole board uses high quality components, shame it fell to bits...

Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2020 at 9:25pm

i was talking about the lack of an input from a PSU/mains 
That's just it, any continuous AC signal can be a "PSU/Mains" of sorts.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>