Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ebay scammer warning.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2020 at 8:13am
As your pal had to address the package maybe its best to send the lads over to talk it through with the purchaser.
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2020 at 9:36am
Originally posted by Greg32 Greg32 wrote:

As your pal had to address the package maybe its best to send the lads over to talk it through with the purchaser.

yes, this is your protection as a seller. you have their address. for a grand I'd go and set fire to their car at least.
Dutchman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2020 at 10:28am
Name and shame if the its a member on the forum.

Also, most of the times the weight is written down somewhere if u log in to the tracking details, maybe that can help to prove it was not empty.
We need more SPL!
jammin75 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jammin75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2020 at 10:36am
too many dishonest people these days Unhappy has an address so cud sort sumthing out if he wanted to otherwise a heavy loss Angry
feel the vibes !!!   "Who Feels it Knows it"            Strong like Lion              
fat_brstd View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fat_brstd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2020 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by Requiem Requiem wrote:

He either broke it himself or he 'bought' the mixer for that one gig intending to return it afterwards, a free hire i guess Clap

There is a well known high street electronics shop around here that sell Pioneer CDJ & DJM for full RRP and also have a no-quibble 28 day money back policy on everything.

I know more than 1 set of people who buy a complete DJ set up at full RRP, use it for 3 weeks and then return it to the store for a full refund and it works every time.

The crazy thing is the shop then lists the gear as open box and you can buy it from the shop at the price they got it from Pioneer + 5% so you can get stuff cheaper there than from anywhere else. I've even known people to buy at full price, return it the next day, then send their mate in to buy the open box unit with a big discount.

Edited by fat_brstd - 14 October 2020 at 12:19pm
Adrians Wall Sound System
Melbournes Rootical Warrior
Roots - Dub - Steppers

facebook page
GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2020 at 3:54pm
I remember reading somewhere about buying items like chain off the roll in a diy store. It went something like, cut off the length you need, then walk round and abandon it somewhere else in the store. Return to the store the following day or so and then collect the chain which is now in the bargain bin at considerably reduced price!
100% Earth Moving Bass
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2020 at 4:27pm
I have one recently, I had found a Sony DAT machine on my shelves. No use to me, and it was something that was given to me, so I list it up and it sells for £180. Sold to a guy in Italy. I give him the price for postage and he complains it's too high, so he sorts out his own via fedex. Anyways he claims the unit is faulty, broken door and hissing, and launches a dispute. I tell ebay if he returns it I will issue refund. He says fine, then says as I he paid for shipping out, I should pay for return back. It was in the region of £28 iirc. I didn't fancy being out of pocket. Thankfully I had a friend near by who could collect. When he tried to pick it up, the guy said it suddenly started working again. So I mate said he could either keep it and cancel the dispute, or he could hand it over and a get a refund. My friend saw the unit, it was intact and worked fine. The guy decided to keep it. Seems like he was just trying to pull a fast one.
APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2020 at 7:12pm
Always have to be careful even as a buyer.

Once bought a JBL diaphragm that I saw on ebay.

The seller had photographed it in it's original box and described it as being brand new. Only opened to photograph. Working perfectly.

Won it on an auction. Was happy because got it for a really good price. Maybe something like £20.

It arrived. Perfect cosmetic condition in the original JBL packing box.

But open circuit.

So I contacted the seller to generate a return. Yes, no problem he said. All very friendly.

He sent me the ebay returns label which I stuck on the box. Sending it back tracked, standard non-insured Royal Mail 2nd class post. Paid for by the seller.

All good I thought.

Then a couple of days later I got a message from the seller via ebay along with a photograph, showing that basically someone had pushed their finger onto the diaphragm and ruined it.

Then maybe 5 minutes later another message from ebay saying that a case has been opened against me for the new replacement cost of the diaphragm.

So I contacted ebay and explained what had happened, and how the diaphragm was impossible to be damaged in that way it was, because it was in the original packing box.

Then the seller gets nasty and says he will sue me for the new replacement cost of the diaphragm (around £250) unless we "come to an agreement".

Fortunately the seller messed up by sending that message though the ebay messaging platform.

So I contacted ebay again and explained to them that I don't like being threatened.

They found in my favour, and the seller got banned from ebay.

What was interesting is that the seller was so professional and smooth in his approach, that I am certain that he had succeeded in this scam before. ie. Sells a dead diaphragm, and gets back good money for it.

So what are the morals of this story:

Firstly be very careful about buying a "new" diaphragm in it's original box that has only been opened to photograph.

If you think about it, if you change a diaphragm, where do you put the non-working one? Yes, back in the original box where the new one used to be.

Be careful about sending back potentially valuable items on an uninsured ebay return initiated by the seller.

madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2020 at 7:37pm
Well, it looks to me as if there are two possibilities here. Either the buyer is a scammer as JBL man suggests (and seems most likely).

Or it got stolen in transit.
If I received a parcel that felt much lighter than I expected, I'm not sure I would have the presence of mind to insist the courier waited (as a witness) while I opened it, especially in present circumstances. (For readers in the future, this was during the global pandemic, look it up). But I might take a video of the box being opened...

Either way, the seller needs to fight all the way to get redress. Use the full resources of the media - twitter, consumer advice programmes on radio & TV, etc - pushing the view that ebay is an unsafe place to sell, as hard as possible. If it gains them enough bad publicity, ebay may decide to settle.

djkeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djkeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2020 at 12:59am
Private buyers/sellers are a nightmare ive had some things up for sale on ebay for years Im not posting/pallet/courier if its too heavy and defo not posting if over £100 and not enough feedback or years behind them I use ebay for reach as much as possible redirect to Facebook folk have to collect. Im another one who cant stand their fee's. If you become desperate to sell/buy or get something for nothing thats when the trouble starts
Soundbite
Noyzmunky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2020 at 11:18am
Originally posted by Requiem Requiem wrote:

But yeah thanks for this topic, id just listed some amps on eBay with courier service offered, have just changed it to collection only or organise your own courier.....

perfect, using your noggin.. That right there is your protection.... Cash is king and collect it yourself. Done deal, move on.
my name is Inigo Montoya...you killed my father, prepare to die!.
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2020 at 12:02pm
Only indirectly relevant to the original topic, but ....

I think the heavy ebay bias against sellers is because the longer term ambitions of ebay are to be more like amazon ... i.e. they don't care about a handful (as they see it) of "private" sellers closing down their accounts - they really wanna be just a huge on-line portal for corporate and fully commercial sellers.

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>