Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ebay's Policy Reinforcements Initiative.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2017 at 11:45am
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

...actually,at my age,those might be useful at last. Wink
Just wonder into your garage and look at all the PPXs and Martin stuff. Should have the desired effect!
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
funkyparrot View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote funkyparrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2017 at 1:02pm
Matt, Not everyone is a business seller. All of my kit was purchased whilst I was working, to provide me with something to do in retirement.
I declare income on hire (of my personal property) and repairs to customers goods, but as I have never claimed tax relief on what is, technically, my own personal property, if I do sell, I sell privately.
Therefore I'm not registered as a business seller. and my contact information is not published.

Edited by funkyparrot - 06 November 2017 at 1:04pm
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote funkyparrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2017 at 1:16pm
Incidentally, for those asking how severe this monitoring has become, read this.

Hello funkyparrot,

We’re writing to let you know that activity on your account may not be following an important eBay policy that requires all transactions and payments to be completed through eBay. The same policy specifies that eBay member-to-member messages may not be used to share contact information.

For example(s), review your member messages regarding the following:

Violating Text: 
I have two websites UK and Com..Or, would you prefer to offer me a buy it now? 

Providing or requesting any contact information including but not limited to: PayPal information, phone number, email address, home address, and social media before the transaction has been completed on the eBay platform is against eBay rules ......

It then goes on to ramble about their buyer protection policies.and threatens possible removal from ebay.

We all know horror stories of rogue buyers, who abuse this policy.. Not exactly a sound related item, but a new, unused (She changed her mind about it)  cardigan my wife sold, for next to nothing, on my account, was claimed, by the buyer, to be damaged, with a hole in it.

I said return it and I will refund your money, including return postage, there was a load of arguing, as she was obviously hoping to keep it. I lost on the postage refund, but the b*stard didn't get to keep it!

MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2017 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by funkyparrot funkyparrot wrote:

Matt, Not everyone is a business seller. All of my kit was purchased whilst I was working, to provide me with something to do in retirement.
I declare income on hire (of my personal property) and repairs to customers goods, but as I have never claimed tax relief on what is, technically, my own personal property, if I do sell, I sell privately.
Therefore I'm not registered as a business seller. and my contact information is not published.
You miss my point - I am forced to display my contact details, so making it ridiculously simple for people to ring me up, or pop along.

Seems daft that on one hand they are clamping down on comms, but on the other forcing me to display details almost encouraging outside of ebay comms.

It was the inconsistency I was highlighting!
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2017 at 2:11pm
Doesn't registering as a business seller involve a degree of extra confirmation of your identity? 

It seems like they're just being money grubbing, and I'm sure there's an element of that to it, but I suspect they also have a significant problem with scammers to deal with. Untraceable users from who knows where, luring people outside of the eBay ecosystem where they can take advantage of them in some way. 

The scammed buyer then naturally holds eBay responsible for allowing it to happen but there's nothing they can do. 

We're on one particularly savvy and mutually respectful side of eBay (pro audio parts and systems, which is mostly trades between professionals or serious hobbyists), so the rule seems a total pisstake, but consider how much of the business that goes through their site is things like mobile phones, laptops, designer clothes and jewellery, etc. Areas where the money is high the fools are everywhere and scamming is rife.

Edited by Hemisphere - 06 November 2017 at 2:14pm
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2017 at 3:18pm
Screen shot of your websites contact page uploaded as picture.

www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote funkyparrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2017 at 6:26pm
You miss my point - I am forced to display my contact details, so making it ridiculously simple for people to ring me up, or pop along.

It was the inconsistency I was highlighting!
[/QUOTE]

Yes, Matt, agreed, but a business seller wouldn't sell outside of ebay, in order to avoid the 10% commission on the sale and 10% levy on cost of shipping, would they? (Having dealt with various sellers, I know the answer, but maybe ebay don't see that far)

On the other hand, if a business seller's details are given, ebay can try to sidestep any flak, if anything goes wrong.

It's obviously the private seller they're targeting. Are they trying to purge the site of private sellers?
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote funkyparrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2017 at 6:29pm
Jace, They quite specifically state that photo's are not allowed to contain phone numbers. They're now checking for that and it could result in suspension or expulsion.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12