Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Electrikal/Danley linkup at Boomtown Thurs eve....
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Electrikal/Danley linkup at Boomtown Thurs eve....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electrikal/Danley linkup at Boomtown Thurs eve....
    Posted: 16 August 2017 at 12:08am
so who was there? i know certain members would have been running it. I would have said hello but i was pissed and with fit women who i wanted to dance with rather than babble about speakers....

but to business now, an engineer i was with said the subs were actually off, and it was just the danleys running full range? If so, im blown away, that output was superb, and walking back to the icecream van top of the hill the sound was near enough the same, completely coherent with a crazy throw, ignoring the treble soaked up by the bodies - easily solved if flown higher.

anyway, please someone tell me some details.

[and next time, someone bring the lampies a table for their desk... those poor poor backs, and poor poor consoles sat in the mud]

Edited by mk2_ginger_biscuit69 - 16 August 2017 at 12:09am
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2017 at 1:00am
I'll accept that excuse, given what I did myself the rest of the weekend

As much as I would love to say yes to that, said engineer had probably partaken a little too much! Although if it was J1, J2, or J5 it would be a different story.

Subs were definitely on, running the custom Electrikal processing I setup for them with their custom ES18 version a good while back – some overlap but phase aligned throughout.

ES18 had an 18dB BW LPF in the mid-70s, where the Jericho took over right through to 20kHz. Their custom Faital reflex boxes handled the very front row but were running about -20dB from their normal level. All run from DSP Powersofts, K20s and X4s, with a Danley OEM Linea Research ASC48 handling the linear phase Jericho preset in front for those boxes only.

Overall we only put a small dip at 2.6kHz from factory preset in the Jericho, and a rising shelf from 100Hz down of around 2dB. Was pretty happy as it was, although yes they do beg to be flown 4m or more to get an even coverage front to back; if you didn't catch the Sunday setup in Mayfair then be glad cos the people at the front there got a reet pasting due to time constraints (don't ask!) and the slightly more savage incline of that hill limiting our elevation options.

Either way, two Jericho pretty easily covered 32x 18" drivers… and we had stupid amounts of interest and positive feedback.

Lighting was nowt to do with us, but there were 'issues' with site overall being delayed massively with mud and so on, hence the somewhat slap dash console approach. In all honesty I think their programming on the bridge took a big back seat to everything else, given it was left in a looping preset the rest of the weekend!

Some 'proper' photos from a friend here:

Was great fun overall especially since the sun made an appearance, big ups to the Rince and all Scotland crew for getting me down and slogging through some of the more troublesome parts of production. Likewise to all the regular Boomtown peeps, still a highlight of my festival season cos of the sheer number of friends across the site.

Edited by toastyghost - 16 August 2017 at 1:01am
bwilbee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwilbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2017 at 12:59pm
Really impressed by the Jericho's, first time I'd heard them and I only managed to listen for a few minutes as f*cking busy elsewhere. Well done guys!
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2017 at 3:49pm
Those Electrikal midtops look like clock-radios next to the Jericho horns.
brokenjoe View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brokenjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2017 at 11:34pm
sounded nice in Mayfair.. didn't get over to the sector six part

Toasty, were loads of things not setup on site in general, not sound, i mean all the little extra touches etc.. seemed a lot less there this year than previous - the mud was pretty bad on thursday 
error 404
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2017 at 2:10am
Yep, four days behind overall by the time doors had to open. That queue business was necessity just to get mulch down to make site traversable.
brokenjoe View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brokenjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2017 at 7:10pm
thought as much, was still all great mind.. i had a lovely time :) 

error 404
KingGwarn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingGwarn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2017 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by brokenjoe brokenjoe wrote:

sounded nice in Mayfair.. didn't get over to the sector six part

Toasty, were loads of things not setup on site in general, not sound, i mean all the little extra touches etc.. seemed a lot less there this year than previous - the mud was pretty bad on thursday 

I had no idea any of the kit was even there for Sector 6....just rocked up to Mayfair on sunday and was treated to a nice surprise! Was great to hear those big orange monsters!

I was on the Mayfair build for the 2-3 weeks running up to the festi and the weather was atrocious - some of the worst work weather I've ever experienced - but because of it everyone was a bit slower than usual - across the whole site. We were working 830am - 11pm on the few days before the festival because of how far behind everything was. Was still all sorts being strung up by the time the gates opened!

Super weekend as usual though :) bless up toasty + the Electrikal crew!

Edited by KingGwarn - 24 August 2017 at 4:22pm
Soundman inna Brighton town
King Gwarn Sound System
rosssss224 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosssss224 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2017 at 4:47pm
slightly off topic but how does it work for getting a rig to boomtown? I know they do applications around November but is it quite selective or is it quite open to anyone who can bring something? Tempted to put together something with our little rig if it sounds feasible.
djkeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djkeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2017 at 5:08pm
[QUOTE=toastyghost]

Some 'proper' photos from a friend here:

Nice set up how did you lift the Darnley's so high up what equipment/man power did you use
Soundbite
Sinai Sound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinai Sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2017 at 6:08pm
Nice set up how did you lift the Danley so high up what equipment/man power did you use

Telehandler....

Edited by Sinai Sound - 24 August 2017 at 6:09pm
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2017 at 3:03am
Originally posted by Sinai Sound Sinai Sound wrote:

Nice set up how did you lift the Danley so high up what equipment/man power did you use

Telehandler....

Nah mate, we got on each others shoulders and hup ho!

Shot from the Sunday literal roadblock session in Mayfair:

As for applications, there are micro venues all around site - it isn't the rig they're booking, it's the micro venue concept as a whole. Come up with a good one that fits in with a district's theme and you have a good chance.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>