Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Eminence Kappa12a reflex tuning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sushi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eminence Kappa12a reflex tuning
    Posted: 22 January 2020 at 4:15pm
Hello Everyone!
I would like to build a pair of cabs, for 2 Kappa12a and 2 PSD2002-8 that i already have at home.
I developed a project for a 60 liters box, that's more or less the maximum volume indicated for the woofer (considered the volume taken by the woofer itself, the hf driver+horn and the damping material, i thought that it would work well)

My problem is: I don't know how to calculate the reflex port size and depth

My requirements are..
1) Port shall be of rectangular shape, 350mm wide (cab's whole internal width) with a 15mm brace panel in the middle (so maybe port is to be considered 335mm wide.. isn't it?)
2) 50 / 55hz tuned.
Kappa12a starts to loose efficiency in response under 70hz, i would like to enhance low frequencies in order to gain some bass.

I tryied to use some "reflex automatic calculator" on the internet, but seriusly i don't get any understandable result. I'd rather learn how to calculate it by myself.
Would someone help me with this?

Best regards
smithshorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithshorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2020 at 5:06pm
Winisd is your friend here. Probably the simplest calculator out there. Ports can be calculated for round, or square/rectangular as well. 
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2020 at 5:45pm
Download a copy of Win ISD and run a simulation.[URL=http://www.linearteam.org/

If that driver isn't already in the program(I think it is) you will have to enter the TS specs as a new file. And I suggest you don't try to get too much lowend out of those drivers, they're designed more as low/mid than a bass driver.
sushi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sushi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2020 at 9:53pm
Thanks a lot! I'll try to download it on my pc, hope it will solve my issues.

I won't try to get a sub from the cab, just looking for a near-fullrange performance for small indoor parties.. i've been using the kappa12a for years in a sealed cab and i know it has its limits. I'll surely put an highpass filter at 50hz.
Gonna use my 18" reflex cabs if i need loud bass.
 Post Reply Post Reply