Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Eminence ring radiator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2017 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

Actually BMS 4540nd is the one you need to compare with. Not the 4538. 
This Eminence might a very good driver. But it is a ripoff. Nothing more.
So i am biased here so dont listen to me :-)

Thank you for your insights Marjan, they are highly welcome!

Lets see if eminence has come up with something worthwhile and competitive
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2017 at 1:46pm
I just cant figure it out why is it so much bigger then the 4540nd.
If the price is right it could have been a good option for line array usage. 

Edited by MarjanM - 03 March 2017 at 1:47pm
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2017 at 1:53pm
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2017 at 3:37pm

Actually BMS 4540nd is the one you need to compare with. Not the 4538. 
This Eminence might a very good driver. But it is a ripoff. Nothing more.
So i am biased here so dont listen to me :-)

Well, no distortion specs from eminence, but output should be similar. Bms takes almost 3dB more power, but the eminence has overall higher sensitivity. So unless we have measurements of both to directly compare distortion performance, its apples and watermelons really. I doubt that i could ever hear the above 15-16kHz supersizzle where the bms has an advantage though.    

Lets see when and at what price it pops up at thomann
thirtha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thirtha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2017 at 7:03pm
Thanks for the inputs gentlemen. Appreciate it. If you see the specs on the PDF you will find that the details on the voice coil wire material and type are not mentioned. As per the distributor, Eminence has stated to him, that the wire material is made of Aluminum ribbon. Could it just be, that the sensitivity figures stated are because of this?
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2017 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by thirtha thirtha wrote:

As per the distributor, Eminence has stated to him, that the wire material is made of Aluminum ribbon. Could it just be, that the sensitivity figures stated are because of this?

I'm no physicist/transducer designer, but aluminium ribbon has been used as voicecoil conductor material for decades, e.g. by JBL. If my memory doesn't fail me starting in the fifties. 

It's all in the data sheet:

Originally posted by eminence datasheet eminence datasheet wrote:

"phase plug design that improves the distribution of forces over the diaphragm surface results in a driver with lower distortion, smoother frequency response, and increased sensitivity as compared to conventional ring radiator designs." 

Edited by bob4 - 03 March 2017 at 7:34pm
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2017 at 7:37pm
If this unit comes at a price point just translated to euros, 75 - 100 €, It might be worth a comparison with the BMS offerings? Geek

cheaper than buying JBL vintage bullets (although, it needs a wave guide obviously -> additional expense)
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2017 at 12:27am
BMS 4538 is cheaper then that. 4540 is only slightly more expensive. 
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2017 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by bob4 bob4 wrote:

cheaper than buying JBL vintage bullets (although, it needs a wave guide obviously -> additional expense)

JBL vintage bullets nearly always need new diaphragms, and even if they don't, they usually wear out after a few years due to metal fatigue.  -> Even more additional expense!

bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2017 at 6:57pm

BMS 4538 is cheaper then that. 4540 is only slightly more expensive. 

yep, 4538 has a nice price! should have researched prices before making that statement. But the 4540 seems to be in the 130 - 150 € bracket depending on supplier. 

I'm talking about the average joe's price, not Mr. Business who gets business pricing and ex VAT. i'm sure you get even nicer prices Marjan Smile
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2017 at 9:06pm
When you buy in hundreds at a time, sure you have good prices.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
thirtha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thirtha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2017 at 5:49am
Good day Marjan,

I went through your website and checked out the M28 LA. You have mentioned that you have used a 1.75 inch annular diaphragm compression driver HF on it. Am I correct in assuming that a annular diaphragm compression driver is the same as a ring radiator? Two different names for the same product? Can you please enlighten me on the advantages of using a annular diaphragm compression driver over a conventional dome diaphragm compression driver? The design looks fantastic and a feast for the eyes, and I am sure it must be the same for the ears too. Clap

And I must say this, there is a quite a bit of an artiest in you. just love the way you have done the wooden grill on the box (face book profile pic)

regards,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>