Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

enclosure suggestions for eminence ps18 6008

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rxs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: enclosure suggestions for eminence ps18 6008
    Posted: 26 April 2022 at 9:08pm
Hello.
i got a good deal on a 4x 18" woofers and id like to get  some opinions on them.
As far the google helped me with these drivers, but it seems there aint many people whos using them.
but to the topic then.
id like to use them mostly on a little summer barbeque rave and littlebit HT. well the "rave" is mix of diffirent styles, folk/metal/edm/dnb, so i think to get the enclosure tuning somewhere 40Hz is propably best for me.
now to the enclosure type- i have built diffirent enclosures, cubo sub, paraflex c2e3. loads of reflex aso...

since storage space is limited, and i have to bring them to my apartment later on, the 300l cubos wont pass my waf. 

i have simulated a reflex on a winisd and found that 88l with 35Hz/40Hz is propably the best they can perform on a reflex enclosure, but is there any other type of compact enclosures that will outperform reflex enclosure like a cubo.
i have a room for a 125l for a single enclosure (4x 125) double bins are a no go, since i have to be able to load them by myself. 
ill be using them with double paraflex 2x10 wide kick/mid/high and a half 2x8 wide paraflex enclosures.
also the paraflex c2e3 will also be present.
T/S info is in this link below
http://https://www.petoindominique.fr/php/mysql_thiele_seul_ref.php?ref=PS18-6008 - http://https://www.petoindominique.fr/php/mysql_thiele_seul_ref.php?ref=PS18-6008
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2022 at 9:23pm
Skip those drivers and get some better ones, suited for compact enclosure designs. But 125L to house a 18" is very very small. B&C Sub18 is about as compact as it gets.

rxs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rxs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2022 at 9:31pm
well i already own them, 100€ for a 4 of them was too good to let them pass.
in the same time, im wondering, why arent they popular. 
VECTORDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VECTORDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2022 at 1:46am
30 years in the Sound System Business....B and C  blows away Eminence. Way higher Real World Club Power Rating....Way better HF Drivers too.....Years ago used lots of Fane which also stood up good.......VECTORSONICS 
rxs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rxs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2022 at 7:59pm
so max size, that i can to is 50*50*70, this gives us 175l - walls and port aso. maby 160l net.
almoust could make away with a cubos, but depth is too big, propably making them taller wont help.
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2022 at 3:06am
Originally posted by rxs rxs wrote:

well i already own them, 100€ for a 4 of them was too good to let them pass.
in the same time, im wondering, why arent they popular. 

The specifications appears to be an old model. You can contact Eminence in which, they will give you the best solution based on your requirements. Eminence is very helpful and, generally replies quickly to emails. 

Best Regards, 
Elliot Thompson
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2022 at 6:27am
What are you guys buying for 25€ each thats any better? Come on guys, it’s not always about the absolute finest possible and to hell with the budget…

I do remember these drivers from the early mid 90’s. Reflex is probably the way to go, cone strength is not fantastic, nor is x-max, but providing you don’t want to plumb the depths these will give you a good tuneful response to the mid 40’s and will make a great little system 

“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
rxs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rxs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2022 at 9:03am
Thanx. 
As for as my reasearch has taken me, then reflex enclosures are the way to go. 
We were thinking about 400€ pd driver at first, but it would be a money that is sitting 9 months in a warehouse.
And then we would have to buy a amp for it and so the snowball will start running.
Maby next year, if we manage to burn these woofers.
Amp upgrade is also taken into consideration for a next year.

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2022 at 9:47am
Eminence is an American Manufacturer. Their market uses Reflex Cabinets. So, in the eyes of those who use horns, Eminence loudspeakers may not be to the horn user liking. However, for those who use reflex cabinets, Eminence loudspeakers will offer satisfactory results.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 28 April 2022 at 10:02am
Elliot Thompson
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2022 at 11:47am
Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

So, in the eyes of those who use horns, Eminence loudspeakers may not be to the horn user liking.

They do have several excellent horn subwoofer drivers. The LAB12 and the variants (not all publicly available) and more recently, the NSW 18" and 21". The latter actually handles more long term Real Power in the Klippel test than the equivalent B&C unit, contrary to what VECTORDJ says.

I think people maybe don't realise that Eminence is primarily an OEM partner. Their engineer will make anything you like to a very high standard at your chosen per-unit price point of the order size is right.

Doesn't change the fact the OP has drivers from the very bottom of their budget range but also doesn't mean that some decent noise can't be had from them with some careful port design.

At this quality level, it might even be desirable to let the port noise get a bit wild at the same input voltage level as the expected long term average power handling of the voice coil. If you don't have access to proper multi-stage limiting in a DSP amplifier, then at least you get an audible warning to bring the levels down before things have a chance to go up in smoke.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2022 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

So, in the eyes of those who use horns, Eminence loudspeakers may not be to the horn user liking.

They do have several excellent horn subwoofer drivers. The LAB12 and the variants (not all publicly available) and more recently, the NSW 18" and 21". The latter actually handles more long term Real Power in the Klippel test than the equivalent B&C unit, contrary to what VECTORDJ says.

The LAB 12 was designed solely for the LAB Horn. When the project was in the works, Eminence was the only manufacture that stepped up and said they are willing to create the driver whereas other manufactures were not willing to do it.

The 21 inch was sold out immediately once it was released all courtesy of the Home Theatre Market. Eminence has also visited a few Subwoofer Shootouts held decades ago as spectators offering business cards. It was only in the Mid 1990's Eminence took the risk to offer loudspeakers publicly. That's when many started to discredit Eminence for they were known for their entry-level loudspeakers residing in Gemini boxes. What many do not realize Eminence was responsible offering loudspeakers residing in enclosures sporting logos such as EAW, Community and, Peavey as well.

They keep their website as basic as possible. However, they can offer measured results of all their products regardless of the loudspeaker's age. Eminence should have around 60 years in the business.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
 Post Reply Post Reply