Poll Question: Ashly GQX-3102 or BSS Opal FCS-966
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
13 [44.83%]
16 [55.17%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2011 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by OllieMan OllieMan wrote:

I love the Ashleys!
The have up to 16db of gain reduction, do the BSS do this much?

Genuine units are easy to find, you just by from the US!

theres got to be something SERIOUSLY wrong to need -16db on an EQ... i EQ in the +-6db range when i can and thats still plenty Confused

''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2011 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by OllieMan OllieMan wrote:

I love the Ashleys!
The have up to 16db of gain reduction, do the BSS do this much?

Do you have kit that sounds so bad it needs -16dB?? on a graphic that is gonna punch a MASSIVE hole in your frequency response, prob better using a para on the LMS or inserting a dn-410...

Smile
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2011 at 5:26pm
I've used upto -12db at 3.15k in a stone church once. Sorted it right out.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2011 at 8:12pm
I have to say for £100 each I'd go Ashley in a second, the lot of 966s I bought were £250 each and all had bust cadets ( apparently comon, but not to me) so the Ashley is a much better deal, cost aside, DN410, adf4000 or if you really don't understand EQ and want it clumsy, a DN 360, but TBH graphs are dead, para every tone for me!!!

a1dl View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a1dl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2011 at 8:30pm

Haven't used the Ashly, but have several of the BSS units and have always liked them.   Broken faders seem to be a common problem with the 966, have seen many like that over the years, although ours don't get dry hired so possibly get treated with more tlc, and all faders & knobs still intact!

http://www.eventpahire.co.uk
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2011 at 11:29pm
Ah the ADF4k, been after one for a while. I'd like to see how it handles.

The KT stuff is lovely though. And you're right the majority of 2nd hand BSS do have faults but I think that could be down to the sheer number of them about. I do often wonder why the Ashlys were never so mainstream, I wonder if it was original purchase price or lack of marketting.

Edited by SamV - 24 December 2011 at 11:30pm
audiomik View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiomik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2011 at 12:36am
all of this discussion between two specific types of Graphic EQ's and no mention of the classic Klark Teknik DN27's which have proper individual passive filters for each band... these have become something of an industry standard from when they were first available
Mik
Warning! May contain Nuts
plus springs, washers, screws, etc, etc.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12