Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Eq before or after crossover?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mace.ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eq before or after crossover?
    Posted: 23 March 2011 at 10:26pm
As per thread title really. In need of a little pointer.. Eq before or after crossover?
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2011 at 10:30pm
before obviously :)

jonny2bad4509 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonny2bad4509 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2011 at 10:30pm
b4 as you need to connect the out from x over to amp/amps
Bomeranks Sound The Party Sound
patrickman123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickman123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2011 at 10:49pm
you go from your mixer into your eq then from your eq into your crossover and then from your crossover into your amps
"Thats what she said"
Speaker Sol View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2011 at 10:51pm
EQ post crossover can alter the crossover point's, both through phase shift and spectral balance. 

I used post crossover EQ to correct anomaly's with the specific loudspeaker, but I do this as part of the process of setting up the crossover. 

For more information I suggest reading Bob McCarthy's "Sound System Design and Optimization"       
Speaker Sol View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2011 at 10:52pm
I then use Pre Crossover EQ as a general EQ for room correction (as a last resort) and or system Toning.
Steve_B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2011 at 12:43am

Is this eq applied in a loudspeaker management system (DXC, Driverack, etc), or a graphic?

If you are setting up a system using the former, eq on the output, which is effectively AFTER the cross-over, is extremely useful. A resonance peak just outside the operating band of a drive unit can still influence the response and eq can be beneficial. If this was corrected before the cross-over the eq would also affect the drive unit in the adjacent band even though it might not need any eq.

This would still work by inserting a separate eq (possibly graphic) between the crossover and amplifier, but you would need a separate device for each frequency band.

If you are asking about a single graphic eq, then as others have said for maximum benefit inserting it between the mixer and cross-over would be best.

vertx View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2017 at 7:53am
So if I wanted to, for instance, tame some 2.5/2.6khz on my compression driver with a sharp PEQ dip, is it best to do this on my LMS input EQ or LMS output channel EQ?

I'm guessing EQ on the LMS input effects phase of the whole input signal around the PEQ freq?

If I have phase aligned my LMS channel outputs without this PEQ dip, and add the PEQ dip in to the LMS channel output for the compression driver, this PEQ could possibly shift my phase out of alignment again? If this is the case, should I then be adding the PEQ dip to the LMS inputs? (In the event I am unable to re-phase align outputs at this time post LMS output channel PEQ)
www.instagram.com/translate.sound
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2017 at 8:40am
EQ in the LMS for the loudspeaker. 

Eq before the LMs for the room

Always been my rule

.p.
Mostly harmless.... except if catering is shut.

Solar Sound System Shennanigans..http://diyhifi.biz/
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2017 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by vertx vertx wrote:

So if I wanted to, for instance, tame some 2.5/2.6khz on my compression driver with a sharp PEQ dip, is it best to do this on my LMS input EQ or LMS output channel EQ?

I'm guessing EQ on the LMS input effects phase of the whole input signal around the PEQ freq?

If I have phase aligned my LMS channel outputs without this PEQ dip, and add the PEQ dip in to the LMS channel output for the compression driver, this PEQ could possibly shift my phase out of alignment again? If this is the case, should I then be adding the PEQ dip to the LMS inputs? (In the event I am unable to re-phase align outputs at this time post LMS output channel PEQ)

Driver / box section EQ should be done before alignment, but if it's just a case of tuning to taste then input EQ is fine, and will preserve your alignment. Or do it on a desk.
 Post Reply Post Reply