Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > HD 15 horn
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ES 18-BPH impressions???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2010 at 12:14pm
ive built quite a few ES18 and they rock!!  as far as BPH's go. 

Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2010 at 2:29pm
Get me a big cardboard box and some boxing gloves and I'll give you my impression.

Seriously though we borrowed some from Descendent and tried them with some Turbo neos and they were mighty impressive.
Don't test the champignon sound
sKs01 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sKs01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2010 at 4:13pm
I was pretty shocked with just one rigged up to Jame's 12v PA set up in his living room. Straight out of a CDJ into the amp inputs on their lowest setting and my trousers were wobbling Shocked
I'm looking forward to hearing that set up when its done.
You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself.
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 9:54am
Was pretty interesting running 2 ES18s vs 2 BS500s (JBL loaded)over 18" reflex each side. Those 2 bins really do have a different tonality. When the gains were set the same the BS were louder but on different tunes people seemed to prefer different sides. Both sounded good mind you.
Don't test the champignon sound
opus jody View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opus jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2010 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by bell bell wrote:

one of my favourite rigs uses cabs with 2x15" drivers(jodies opus). but do they run that with subs also? or is it just large enough stacks?

allo.
I do run with single 24's on big rigs too, but i have to say that there's not that much difference when you un-plug the 24's. the 15's can go flat to 40, from 180 Hz (!) and the 24's sound just the same as the 15's, but with a few extra octaves on the bottom.
most likely, the reason you like it is because it's all reflex, it's got an  analog mixer, analog crossover, and class A or A/B amps with big power supplies. they might not measure big power output's, but they give a very 'big' sound.

you might want to bear all that in mind when designing your system.   Wink
Improvised Hardware Music http://vimeo.com/user9389813/videos
Louder than loud View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Louder than loud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2010 at 9:20pm
Love reflex kit and have heard the Opus cs systems many times very sweet sounding, what happens if a dj wants a djm800 say ? can you tell the difference ? what mixer do you use if you dont mind me asking ?
opus jody View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opus jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2010 at 10:37pm
personally i won't do djm gigs. there is a couple of exceptions to that rule, like one DJ who is responsible for about 1/2 my jobs, and Glastonbury, i won't have any choice, but in general i'd rather not do the gig than let someone else loose with a djm. strange, cos the CDJ's are exceptionally good!
I guess i'm lucky with a day job, so i don't have to rely on gigs for a living. it might be different then.
from my position, which is generally from the stage, the biggest noticable difference in the crowd with good quality recordings is that everyone smiles more. dodgey track - grimm faces. it's the same as the difference between digi/analog mixers.
i recently had to use a djm for the djs in Leeds, but put the last live act on through the vestax i had sat on the rack, and the party transformed itself. some might argue that it was the live act being better, but i think the mixer plays a bigger part than 50% in the equation.

My own mixer is a vestax pmc 500. It sounds great, 1 flick of a switch (per channel) & it's totally bombproof for DJ's to ragg it stupid. even marke G!
but, and it's a big BUT, build quality is shocking. I have to re-build mine about twice a year. Cry biggest problem is the phono sockets on the back coming out. i've now soldered them all onto their tracks, but they still go wrong.
I'd love to try out the ecler Sclat 200VS, i think it is. big price tag though.

i'll stop now. way off topic!

see ya.

cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2010 at 11:14pm
that is a really big but..
highlyunlikely View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote highlyunlikely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 2:06am
+1 jody on the sclat...
i love my modded version of the es18..Smile
pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 7:08pm
Continuing on the offtopic stuff, but does anyone think Formula Sound PM80/PM90 are still relevant today?

I would be REALLY interested about buying Formula Sound System 2000, If only I could find one.

Why don't you try FF6000 for build & sound quality Opus Jody?
opus jody View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opus jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 8:40am
I was going to say 'beacause it says "F1" on the front (Big smile) but i would have been joking, and many would have taken it wrong.
the real answer is:
because although the build & sound quality are great, if i remember right the tone controls don't kill the band totally, and a lot of  my mixing involves replacing basslines & hi hat paterns with other tracks' paterns, so on the ff6k you can't get rid of the remnants of the original, so sound quality on a mix gets muddled. anyway, i'm very happy with the layout & func(k)tions of the vestax, and i don't mind the regular servicing. also, because the vestax break so easily, you can pick them up really cheap. I just got one for £200! took about 2 days to do all the mods,
also, i find the hf tone control to boost the HF at quite a low high-freq, that feels like about 12k or something? if you cut the HF, you still get quite a bit of faerie dust frequencies getting through.
the vestax feels more like a crossover band level control than a wide Q boost/cut. turn the bass, mid & treble down, and there is silence. makes for very clean mixes.
anyway, i can't afford a new mixer at the moment. this last winter i've developed a synth obsession!
neilpoints View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilpoints Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 7:02pm
I have ES18BPH loaded with PD1850s, and they're great. The bass is hard, used with LABs. Their range goes much higher than any HDs. Thanks, Staiper!
former Eurovision contestant
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>