Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ES-18BPH Performance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diablodigital Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ES-18BPH Performance
    Posted: 15 October 2007 at 6:52pm
How does the performance of staiper's ES-18BPH stack up against some of the other designs on the forum?
Vybz with a difference.....
james folkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james folkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2007 at 4:52pm
there was some time ago, a thread debating the various merits of the es-18bph versus the 184 sub. conclusions were that the 184 was a slightly wallowy but very musical compact subwoofer (well tuned bp6, sounds about right) and the bph was a very kicky alround bass cab, ideally suited to fast and lively music and apparently finding good application as a cab for live band work, but never reproducing the really low stuff.

the design for the usb is floating around the forum and is probably the closest relative, the original speakerplans design that it is closest too is i suppose the hd15, in that it is somoe kind of bp4/horn hybrid thingumy. es-18bph will play slightly lower and i suspect louder than an hd15, but it's comparably bigger, so it's just horses for courses.

1850/186 horn are pure horn bass bins, they will play lower (especially in big stacks) than comparable numbers of usb/es-18bph style cabs but be much larger and heavier. the long folded horns don't like crossing too high either, some of the bp4/horn hybrids are suprisingly successful higher up the frequency range, for extreme examples check out the crossover points in funktion one's resolution boxes...

james.

mardy hippy.
diablodigital View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diablodigital Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2007 at 6:57pm
thanks James, lots of good info there :) in the end i guess it depends on the type of music. I may just have to stick to a reflex cab to be a bit more flexible, and also easier on the back.

Ewan.
Vybz with a difference.....
adambomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2007 at 10:49pm

Do the funktion one boxes use phase plugs on the bass bins to increase the range covered?? (get higher).

I thought they did... infact I think I have pdfs somewhere of the patents on some F1 bins (maybe different ones I dunno??).. which have plugs on them.
Dom View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2007 at 11:21pm
Not on the bass bins.  The 12" folded horns have phase plugs though...
"It sounded like a million fire engines chasing ten million ambulances through a war zone and it was played at a volume that made the empty chair beside me bleed."
adambomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2007 at 11:33pm
oh.. learned.
 Post Reply Post Reply