Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ES18-BPH

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 32333435>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2018 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

You definitely want a proper sub under them for psytrance

You might be right, however 45Hz and up "should" be ok.  I have tested some single enclosures like Hog, Cubo15, miniscoops etc.. even Cubo15 goes low enough.  Anyway, we are planning to make medium-big sound system and I need to figure out which one would be the best and something special. 

Most psytrance soundsystems I have heard was:
8 x Hogs + somekind of bandpass kicks: best sound overall and insane spl! 
4 x hogs + hd15: pretty good also
8 x martin wlx ported horns: loose bass, lack of kick.. no throw or something like that. 
8 x standard 18" reflex: too low SPL and no kick. Much like WLX but lower spl.

I was thinking to have stand alone bass bins but maybe it is too big compromise anyway.. maybe some medium size front loaded horns would do the job.  Martin WSX is interesting but as far as I know, it needs kick bins for upper bass. Same thing with invaders..

I'm still interested about es18bph, maybe it could be paired with X1 or something to get lower bass too IF needed.  Just heard that X1 is not very efficient outdoors.. anyway the most important region is somewhere beetween 50-80Hz. 

Edited by Tonskulus - 31 July 2018 at 12:36pm
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2018 at 2:19pm
You might think that but having done something like 120 non stop days of psytrance events from 2000-20,000 capacity in the past couple years, I tell you 100% that you need to be reaching mid-30s with ease and plenty of it to keep the baseline present.

Look at equal loudness contour and see how much less sensitive your ears are to the lower notes.

When we did Midnight Sun the Incubus Subs were working pretty hard at points. I was pretty happy with 16x Danley DBH218 with flat input EQ and that box has a nice bump at the kick region like you’re wanting to hit, but does go low enough to maintain the bassline. Think of ES18 as an F218 - how often do you see F1 rigs for psy without 21s, Infrabass or even 24s?
king david View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king david Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2018 at 9:34pm
i've done psytrance events up to 800 ppl with various hogs and es18 combinations and it works quite well, you definitely need a sub under the es18 if you want to give some justice to the low end, they kick great but put a sub under them, and if you want something special find some other subs, there are way too many hogs around that a stack of them isnt that special anymore...

Edited by king david - 31 July 2018 at 9:38pm
http://www.warriorcharge.noblogs.org
Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2018 at 6:40am
Originally posted by king david king david wrote:

i've done psytrance events up to 800 ppl with various hogs and es18 combinations and it works quite well, you definitely need a sub under the es18 if you want to give some justice to the low end, they kick great but put a sub under them, and if you want something special find some other subs, there are way too many hogs around that a stack of them isnt that special anymore...

Yes, same thing here. Too many hogs around, there is nothing wrong with them.. i have two hogs too and I do like how they sound for variety music with proper drivers (my hogs having RCF LF18X400 atm). 
TH118 or similar was also one of my plans, but I see the construction is however too close to Hogs. Just smaller mouth. 

I havent done psytrance events on my own, but I have visited many!  Now we need our own system which I want to be simple but special for psytrance. :)

I do respect your answers here, great advices!  Now I need to figure out which way to go for subs.  Folded flh's or tapped horns it is for sure. (for mid / high, I have rcf l12l750's and P.audio 2" drivers + big horns..should be great for MT121 or similar cabs). 

Edited by Tonskulus - 01 August 2018 at 7:24am
Sound Vibration View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sound Vibration Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2018 at 8:55pm
am looking at 4 of these ES18BPH cabinets what B&C woofer will work good in these cabinets ?
Arcy12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arcy12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2018 at 3:49pm
what are the preferred driver for in the es18 for around the 70 to 180hz use as a kick?
king david View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king david Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2019 at 11:10pm

Edited by king david - 15 May 2020 at 5:07am
http://www.warriorcharge.noblogs.org
BP1Fanatic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BP1Fanatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2019 at 9:24pm
That red line looks nice for a car audio curve! Put an 80hz low pass on it and BOOM BAP!
Arcy12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arcy12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2019 at 9:47pm
hey man.
I'm just building some es18's and I'm almost at the point to put the wadding in, I'm just wondering how much you've put in or know what is recommended 

Cheers
Sinai Sound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinai Sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2020 at 4:25pm
Any tips on a potential Neo driver for one of these?

luthier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luthier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2020 at 6:30pm
What about the rcf lf18n401?
sushi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sushi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2022 at 11:17am
Hello there!
My speakerbuilding mate would like to build a pair of ES18 for kick duty, which should cross with two MT121 we just built (loaded with Beyma 12MI100)
Since we are based in italy, we can't get P-audio woofers easy and cheap.. are there any RCF, B&C, or 18SOUND drivers that would fit in this cab and work well? We can get Beyma or PD as well..
One other thing: plan says 250hz high cutoff, but will we really be able to cross that high? i see some folk round here experienced honky midbass.. i understand it could depend on driver choice, so i would like to be sure about what to load the boxes with.
Any feedback on suitable drivers would be appreciated!
Cheers!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 32333435>