Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EV P3000

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2017 at 9:13am
Originally posted by kedwardsleisure kedwardsleisure wrote:

also helps if the bias is set right. The pots on these drift and can lay on the bias pretty thickly. A quick test is to let one idle on the bench for a few minutes. It should cycle the fans on and off between 'stop' and speed 1.
The other option is to plug it into a watt meter and check the idle power consumption is as per spec sheet.

Would active case cooling, alleviate all heat problems?

Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
BASSHORSE View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BASSHORSE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2017 at 10:15am
not if the bias is out,.but yes if all in sync Thumbs Up
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2017 at 10:40am
Originally posted by BASSHORSE BASSHORSE wrote:

not if the bias is out,.but yes if all in sync Thumbs Up

That means service required, as soon as amp purchased.. Stern Smile

What's average price for that !?
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2017 at 11:24am
Not necessarily, as Kev said there are a couple of easy ways to check if it is running with bias where it should be.

But personally I would say that buying any second hand amp at all that might have been abused, service as a matter of course would be a very wise move if it is going to be used outside of the workshop in anger.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2017 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by odc04r odc04r wrote:

Not necessarily, as Kev said there are a couple of easy ways to check if it is running with bias where it should be.

But personally I would say that buying any second hand amp at all that might have been abused, service as a matter of course would be a very wise move if it is going to be used outside of the workshop in anger.

EV P3000 is a special case, as it is known to have heat problems.

I've bought Void 8MK2s, Crown MA5000VZs, QSC 5050s, and just needed to give them a hoover out, to ensure solid operation, for years.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2017 at 8:59pm
Leave a 1U gap above with a ventilated blanking panel.  The preamp section doesn't have any ventilation and is on a seperate board at the top of the amp.
ReubGold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReubGold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2017 at 12:57pm
Can this amp, be run 2 ohm stereo/4 ohm bridge?

No mention of above in EV docs.
If he turns me into a zombie, first person I'm coming after is you.
JBK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2017 at 1:22pm
Quote Can this amp, be run 2 ohm stereo/4 ohm bridge?

Short answer :
If the manual doesn't mention it, then don't do it.

Balanced answer :
We ran 2 Gsub out of 2 bridged p3000 for several nights (several hours per night) : no problem whatsoever
We once tried them for 2 scoops (same drivers as the gsub) per amp (bridged still): not even pushing the volume, just testing before the night, an awful sound and 2 drivers gone Cry
Since this incident we never used them on bridge again (even if they were fine with the gsubs)
So i'd say it depends on the load, frequency range, etc, but if you're not sure, don't do it
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2017 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by JBK JBK wrote:

Quote Can this amp, be run 2 ohm stereo/4 ohm bridge?

Short answer :
If the manual doesn't mention it, then don't do it.

Balanced answer :
We ran 2 Gsub out of 2 bridged p3000 for several nights (several hours per night) : no problem whatsoever
We once tried them for 2 scoops (same drivers as the gsub) per amp (bridged still): not even pushing the volume, just testing before the night, an awful sound and 2 drivers gone Cry
Since this incident we never used them on bridge again (even if they were fine with the gsubs)
So i'd say it depends on the load, frequency range, etc, but if you're not sure, don't do it

JBK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2017 at 2:23pm
Please Levyte, share your thoughts in a more explicit manner :) (I'm at work and I must admit I had a hard time not to laught)
You're surprised because we used the p3000 bridged 4 ohms on gsubs with no problem?
You're surprised that we've fried drivers?
Am I saying complete horsecrap?

Just so you know, p3000 on gsubs was because we've had troubles with our 5002VZ and had a spare p3000. The p3000 bridged on scoops was just out of curiosity (yeah I know it was dumb but eh ..)
In the normal operation of our system each p3000 channel push only a scoop, 8 ohms stereo stylee

Edited by JBK - 07 February 2017 at 2:32pm
geoSal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geoSal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2017 at 2:36pm
We used to run p3000 on 2 ohms sometimes also with no problems.I 'm not sure about 4ohm bridge though.I dont think it can't stand it.the amp is a beast for subs.I cant quite remember waht the bridge
 output stated on the rear .watts or impedance also. 
paulus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2017 at 2:37pm
Stern Smile
TRENDSETTER SOUND SYSTEM
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>