Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EV P3000

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geoSal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2017 at 2:42pm
?
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2017 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by JBK JBK wrote:

Please Levyte, share your thoughts in a more explicit manner :) (I'm at work and I must admit I had a hard time not to laught)
You're surprised because we used the p3000 bridged 4 ohms on gsubs with no problem?
You're surprised that we've fried drivers?
Am I saying complete horsecrap?

I "used" to rate EV P3000, as one of best transformer amps of all time.Confused

The fact it can't effortlessly power 2x Scoops in 4 ohm bridge is beyond me.

I've had Cheap Chinese Crest Copies that can do that, and stay cool.

Especially as 2x 8 ohm drivers, in a Scoop, in parallel, are not typically 4 ohms, more like 6 ohms.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
geoSal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geoSal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2017 at 3:41pm
2x8ohm drivers can reach 4ohm only when playing 50hz and below.and again it's 2,?? ohms never below 2.So typically lev is right
geoSal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geoSal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2017 at 3:43pm
sorry I meant 4 point sth ohms not 2
JBK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2017 at 4:30pm
Well Levyte, you're worrying me, maybe we have a dodgy one? What surprises me is that now we have used them on literally dozens nights just under clip in 8 ohms stereo mode and they've never let us down (and helepd us show some fellow frenchies that pd186 scoops can hold their corner against some so called big boys Tongue). Also we clean them at least once a year, and let at least 1u rack space between them so they can breathe. I was just guessing that we can't blame the amplifier for not doing something they're not supposed to do ...
Once again, used a few times in 4 ohms bridge for gsub in kick duty with no problem whatsoever.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2017 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by geoSal geoSal wrote:

2x8ohm drivers can reach 4ohm only when playing 50hz and below.and again it's 2,?? ohms never below 2.So typically lev is right

Not entirely. Quoting a nominal impedance is a very simple way of looking at the situation. You want to do it properly, you look at both the magnitude and phase of the load. When the phase angle is non zero the amplifier is dissipating even more heat in its output stage than usual. Then you have to compare all that with the average power content of the music you're putting into it.

Amplifiers fail sometimes, if there was no obvious reason for it then it'll just be one of those things. A breaking down transistor insulation pad, a conduction path through a build up of dust and moisture, that kind of cause.
Vaso_Bobinata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vaso_Bobinata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 5:32pm
In the first dasheet that came with first p3000
They had specs for 4ohm bridge and 2Ohm stereo.

They removed it lately.

I can confirm that they are 2 ohm stable in stereo in bass duty.
nev23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nev23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 11:15am
A customer of mine has over 100 or these amps, so I have fixed quite a few. When they fail, they usually fail quite badly with 6 to 12 output devices gone short. One had 22 out of the 24 on one channel gone bang.
My issue with them is that there two protection circuits; the fast one which just senses current and the slow one which makes an attempt at measuring the voltage across the transistors (not the load) as well. Of course, those should be the other way round. So if it is feeding a sub just off its resonance, the complex impedance will cause massive dissipation in the output stage and it won't be detected in time. Boom.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vaso_Bobinata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 11:40am
Do you think that crown macrotech 5002 is the beetter amp than the p3000.

In terms of power and reabillity.

P3000 is 25% cheaper.
nev23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nev23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 1:54pm
The Macrotech has very accurate SOAR modelling; there is an analogue multiplier fed with the voltage across, and current through the output stages. But it distorts horribly when that protection kicks in.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vaso_Bobinata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2017 at 7:01pm
Is there a workaround for that particular problem.
Some fancy limiters... Please advice.

Many thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vaso_Bobinata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2017 at 7:04pm
Is there a workaround for that particular problem.
Some fancy limiters.. maybe... Please advice.

Many thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>